Re: Gas Tank Fill Location All Wrong

Your only hope is to move to New Jersey where the State requires gas station attendants fill the car for you.
Bill

One reason I know of for position of gas filler location is the exhaust pipe. Seams not many people want to pump their gas over top of a hot exhaust pipe when it is overfilled or leaks it could cause an explosion or fire.Guess they could move all exhaust to middle of the car. ; )

Have you ever tried that? Not gonna happen, even with the car still running, which is against the law...

I drive a P71 Crown Vic which has dual exhausts. So I guess I shouldn't have a fill spot on either side, huh?

I have duals also so they put the filler through a hole in the rear seat console.
Yet another reason NOT to own a Ford

And what "reason" might that be?
Please avoid top posting. http://learn.to/quote

That's odd, my Tradesman actually has the exhaust almost directly below the filler neck. Worse yet, backpressure when filling the tank is pretty damn low making it exceptionally difficult to tell when it's actually full.
I'd rather have one fill location and save my money. I go to the fuel station at OFF PEAK hours, I never worry about such shit...

My Name Is Nobody wrote:

this guy is an idiot... cars have reverse... back in to a spot...

And yet people KEEP RESPONDING to the damned troll. If they'd just *stop*, he'd get bored and go away.

That is not only unsafe in many jurisdictions it is also against the law...
and that is why you waste so much gas driving around in foward looking for a pump to fill up with.

Please try and follow along, as I have already posted in this thread, I don't go to the fuel station during "peak hours", there is never a line when I shop, and almost always plenty of open pump...
My Name Is Nobody wrote:

Jesus.. there can't be a law against everything
you're telling me some states it is illegal to BACK in to a pump? pfft... i hardly believe that
Bill Kitterman wrote:

What about Oregon? They require it, too. I live in NJ. I would rather he didn't.
Jeff

station
OR does still make self serve illegal. Making self-serve legal has come up on the ballot several times before. Each time, cooler heads have done statistical analysis of gas stations in both Washington and California and shown that the price of gas in both those states after adjustment for non-self-serve-related costs is no different than in Oregon. As a result those ballot measures have all failed, to the annoyance of gas station owners who were hoping to make a quick buck.
The fact of the matter is that gas pumping doesen't take much training. So it is rare to pull into a gas station in Oregon and come across a completely ignorant attendant. Just about all of them do a good job filling your tank. Better, in fact, than 3/4 of the other drivers I see in the gas station would likely to do.
I'm strongly in favor of keeping the self-serve ban in Oregon. We have to have some kind of job available for the ex-cons to work at once they get out of prison, so they can build up some trust and a resume. I would rather pay at the gas pump for private industry to supply those kinds of jobs at the gas stations in Oregon than to pay extra taxes to the government to provide a bunch of make-work for those types of people to do.
Ted
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

Yeah right. So you don't think that prices would quickly adjust to make up for the legislated/privately paid welfare that would no longer be being paid to the pumpers?

up
and
result
Huh?
Welfare, last I looked, was paying people for NOT working. A worse disincentive program I cannot imagine.
Paying people minimum wage to pump gas costs the economy a LOT less money, plus it gives the worker some employment history - which a LOT of them are going to need to get a better job. They won't get that from 2 years of welfare payments. And nobody makes a career out of a minimum wage gas pump shit job, just the same as nobody makes a career out of a minimum wage burger-flipping job. But, those jobs are needed to get those who have NO work experience whatsoever a leg up to get into the employment market.
Getting rid of one more set of minimum wage jobs isn't going to make the practically-unemployable people go away. And our society isn't going to allow such people to just starve on the streets. Instead it is going to replace those minimum wage shit jobs with government handouts, and the government has had a long history of not doing things that private industry can do as well as private industry can do them. In the long run we all lose more money than the minor amount that might possibly be saved by eliminating these jobs. And, as I have said, the research has been done in the past and no significant difference in fuel prices has been observed from Oregon and the states around it.
I can drive 20 minutes north into Washington State. And the fuel prices there are more expensive. Why? Because there's a state sales tax there that applies to vehicle fuel. The pump prices might be a penny or two lower - but the total price is higher when sales tax is included. Oregon has no sales tax.
So why you want is for Oregon to make self service legal - which puts a lot of people out of work - which makes them go to the state begging for welfare handouts - which the state then has to get the money for by putting a sales tax on fuel - and where exactly is the savings?
The only savings I see here is the less time the gas station owners have to spend doing payroll for fewer people. Whopdeedo. If the station owners don't like that, they can find another line of work. Plenty of people out there are willing to buy and run gas stations and have no problem with the way things currently are in the state.
For a self-styled Republican you sure seem to like government solutions to societal problems. Probably explains why your party isn't doing so hot right now.
Ted
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

You made my entire point, Ted. The money to pay these people (to produce absolutely nothing or to enable others to better produce) *has* to come from somewhere. Pumping gas is not producing wealth - it produces *nothing*. Using your logic, you could pay these people to dig holes and fill them up and that would be a good use of money (heck - have service station owners pay them since they seem to be able to produce money out of thin air). I was just kidding in my other post about telling Hillary about my plan to abolish unemployment by mandating no self-service all across the country. I had no idea that it would actually make sense to anybody. But actually - I'm not surprised.
You don't help a society by make-work jobs as a long-term plan.
My party not doing so well right now? That's certainly b.s. Have you even watched the Democrat party debates? What a joke. They are having trouble making stuff up on the fly - even when they have advance warning - first Hillary, then Obama. What a joke. Fortunately for Hillary, Blitzer took the cue to watch out what he asked and not to do any follow up with her.