newman

Here in Canada all the Napa cyls are new, not rebuilt. That said, in many cases a good USED part is better than some of the CRAP being supplied as new parts. With the used stuff you at least know it worked ONCE. The (potentially fatal) cheepening of America.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I just put in a new wheel cylinder on my 95 Bronco - !@#% bleeder screws. I picked up a new replacement at Advance Auto for about $10. I don't remember what the waranty was, but at that price I don't really care. Just for kicks I called the nearest Ford dealer to see what they wanted and they quoted me $45 but wouldn't be able to get one for two to three days. I would me more upset about having to redo such a fun job than the money lost.

At four times the price I wouldn't consider the dealer parts worth it. Who wants to bet me they are even twice as reliable as the el- cheapo I got?

I have heard many people carping about the poor condition of master cylinder parts, but I am surprised that you got bad wheel cylinders, especially from NAPA.

Calvin

Reply to
Calvin

Sadly, I've noticed a reduction in quality of the parts stocked at many NAPA stores. The better stuff is still available and stocked at larger stores. They are having to stay competitive with the chain discount stores. Too many consumers shop for car parts by price alone.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

And sadly NAPA has decided to go head to head with Kragen, PepBoys, etc dealing direct with the customer, and has pretty well abandoned the "trade". They have yet to learn there is always someone willing to provide a lower quality part at a lower cost - that war can never be won. What nobody seems to be willing to do is provide a BETTER part at a "reasonable" price (or lately, it seems, at ANY price.)

Even a lot of "dealer" parts are cheapened crap.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I did a four disc brake conversion on my 66 Galaxie. Bought all of the parts from

Good service and selection.

Reply to
Frank from Deeetroit

I did a four disc brake conversion on my 66 Galaxie. Bought all of the parts from

Good service and selection.

Reply to
newman

I have always installed new parts for the brake system because braking is a very important and critical component of driving. I won't install a rebuilt master cylinder or wheel cylinders. The fuel pump and water pump are also components I always buy new.

Reply to
azazel scratch