egr valve on a 96 dodge ram pick up

can anyone tell me where to locate the egr valve on my 1996, 1500, v-6, 2 wd, ram pick up? and what needs to be done to change it.

Reply to
stoncld3161

It's under the hood.

You remove the old one and install the new one.

In your case you should just take it to a mechanic because it is obvious that you don't even have enough sense to look in a repair manual.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Well - I see you've met some of the group :) Greg (beekeep) is okay - ya just gotta get used to him. The other guy, well.... he sticks his head in here every once in a while, spouts off some stupid nonsense, then disappears for a while. Best just to ignore him - he has no useful information for anyone.

On to your problem... the EGR valve is located on the back of the intake manifold. Look for a tube coming up from the passenger exhaust manifold, and trace it to the EGR valve. Removal is pretty straight-forward - after getting rid of the air box, air intake hose, and anything else that's in the way, remove the EGR tube, then disconnect the electrical connector and vacuum hose from the transducer, then finally remove the nuts holding the valve assembly to the manifold, and remove the entire assembly. It's a little tight back there, and don't be surprised of the bolts/nuts (especially the ones holding the EGR tube to the manifold) are rusted in place - spray them down with some penetrating oil before trying to back them out.

A Haynes manual, #30041, can be picked up for under $15 from your local parts place - it'll have diagrams and pictures to assist.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

thank you for your help. i do have the haynes book, but unfortunately it doesnt go into detail about the egr valve, it only mentions the name a couple times.

Reply to
stoncld3161

Pages 6-24 and 6-25... 3 diagrams pertaining to V6/V8 EGR valves, 3 photos on procedures to test, and about a full half-page of text on check/removal/replacement steps.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence