EGR valve, speedo sensor R&R on '96 Sentra 1.6L auto--couple of questions

Hey--

Okay--the stalwart Nissan flunked the state inspection, dammit, and I'm gonna have to fix it.

The emissions report says bad EGR valve and speedo sensor unit. Being naturally skeptical, and in denial, I just wanna be sure before I spend the bucks and time.

The Nissan parts guy suggested that connections to an EGR valve can be leaky--anyone experienced this-? When the EGR fails, is it usually a

100% failure, or can they stick or get wacky-? Anything special I should know before i tear into this-?

The speedo has been intermittent for months, and I guess it's time for a new sensor. Is this located on the firewall side of the tranny-? Do they get "loose"-? (mine works about 80% of the time)

Surprisingly, the Nissan dealer's price for this stuff was below that of aftermarket. And, in stock.

This engine room looks nothing like my '62 Beetle, my real tinkertoy-! No experience [yet] with the Nissan beyond the oil changes, etc. Looks like a tough little motor and I like the fact it has a timing chain.

Thanks--Buzzy

Reply to
BuZzY

Don

Check the plastic/nylon pinion gear on the end of the speed sensor, and the output of the speed sensor itself before sinking money ($100+) into a new sensor.

Louis--

********************************************* Remove the two fish in address to respond
Reply to
Louis Bybee