Hard first start

I have 3.8 1994 Taurus Wagon (automatic) With about 200k on it. Normally my car starts right up. However recently I have noticed that when I go to start my car after sitting for several hours it is a little hard to start. e.g.. 5-6 seconds of hard cranking. If it is warm then it starts up fine.

ALSO if I crank the car from cold for just 2 seconds and then stop, and then do it again it starts right up. Its like it wants to have one go at it first before getting serious.

What steps can I take to diagnose the problem? Do you think If I replaced wires and plugs that would make a difference. I don't think they have been replace in years. 3+ With electronic ignition I have not done this as freqently as on older cars. Am I barking up the wrong tree.

Advice.

Regards Steve

[7willie]
Reply to
steve

The fuel pump is losing pressure. Turn the key on for a few seconds then crank. Also keeping your tank full will help.

Noob

Reply to
Kim Neubert

Here's another piece of advice... News servers sometimes take a while to show a post. It's NOT the same as Email.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic