Help with code 23/fuel cutoff please

Hi Folks....my names Mike and I'm having a little problem with a "fuel cutoff" signal on a 95 Mercury Tracer. The engine stopped running and the "fuel cutoff" light came on as I came off the freeway and I haven't been able to re-start the car since then.

I did replace the fuel cutoff switch, it's never the easy stuff, that didn't fix it. I get a code 23 when I check the cars computer. "TP sensor out of range during self test"

Is there anyway I can bypass the fuel cutoff to get the car running again?? Does anyone have any ideas of what could have gone wrong?? or what it is I have to replace?? I was on the freeway doing between 60 and 65 for about 56 miles without a problem, I had been trying to get the cruise control to work....it's never worked since I've had the car. The car ran fine till I almost stopped and it bucked before it quit running.

Thanks for any help on this. Mike

Reply to
Mikal
  1. Can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn ign on?

  1. Disconnect the CC servo wiring harness.. had a prob in my 95 Taurus where the servo made the PCM cut out.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks for the reply Pettyfog, I checked the fuel pump by listening at the gas tank inlet, it is working. Disconnected all the wires at the cruise control and it made no difference. As soon as I turn the key to start the engine....the fuel cutoff light comes on and all the thing does is crank over....

Reply to
Mikal

Mikal opined in news:A8R4b.124348$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

NOw you have to see if you have spark...

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Got plenty of spark, if I let the car sit for a while then turn the key on and off a number of times to work the fuel pump....it trys to start....the fuel cutoff light comes on and it's back to cranking only....

Reply to
Mikal