help with EGR system and "insufficient flow" codes and engine light

My "check engine" light on my 97 4.6L f150 is driving me nuts! The light came on a while back, but the truck runs fine and gas mileage hasn't suffered. I finally had Auto Zone put a computer on it and the code came up EGR "insufficient flow". I bought a new EGR valve and reset the light. Back on in a couple days. Then I got this bright idea that a real "repair shop" may have a better computer that could pinpoint the problem. At least they said it was better. (I don't believe it). Anyhow, they told me to replace the PFTE or whatever its called and another vaccum control valve or somwthing like that. Im probably not calling them by their correct name, but its a small silver box with some sort of computer card in it that costs about $90, and another part that has a small filter on the top of it and costs around $30. the guy at the Ford place said this is pretty much all of the EGR stuff that goes bad.

Well, the light went off for about 10 months. Now its on again, right when I'm about to sell the truck. I figured my cheapo Auto Zone EGR valve was bad, so I headed back to Auto Zone to diagnose it again. Its thae same old code, bad EGR flow. I replaced the EGR valve with a factory Ford one (only $55 bucks, believe it or not!). Light came back on. Oh well, I guess my PFTE (the silver box) from Car Quest must be bad. I went to buy another one and the guy was cool and gave me a new one without me even asking! Light came back on. I havent changed the third part yet (I had earlier replaced this with a genuine Ford part).

I have to think that something else is causing the bad code. I am running out of time, patience, and money!! Any ideas? The truck is still running fine and getting normal mileage. If I disconnect the bettery to reset the light it may stay off for an hour, or three days.

I am just about at my wits end, and am ready to just disconnect the engine light altogether. Is there an easy way to do this if I have to?

thanks in advance

Reply to
rgdavico

Do a Google on this group with the P code and "EGR" and you should get instructions. The 4.6 collects gunk in a channel where the intake manifold and elbow to the throttle body meet. Cleaning it will cure the code in most cases.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

you probably have to remove the egr valve and the throttle body and find the channel that goes from one to the other... its the channel that allow the gases from the exhaust to flow into the intake manifold to burn off.. almost all fords have this problem the channel is blocked and you have to clean it out.. then the flow of the egr goes to where its suppose to go and everything is OK... i found this on the

web site sent some other ford owners there with big block engines who had the same problem and they fixed it.. pretty cheap fix... two gaskets(about $2.00 each) one can of throttle body cleaner and some small wire brushes or picks.. go to the above web site and do a search for cleaning the throttle valve body/EGR and see what comes up..they had pictures of all the gunk thats jamming up this passage and how to clean it out..... should work on your food vehicle with the same problem, insufficient egr flow...........

Reply to
jim