seatbelt harness clicking

I'm copying this from another forum, because it describes what i'm hearing exactly.

"I've had this problem for a while but have hesitated to post it becuase you may think I am crazy. I often hear a clicking noise coming from where the seatbelt harness goes into the pillar just behind my left ear. It's not loud, but it's right at my ear so it bugs me. Any ideas on what it is or how to fix it?"

...any ideas?

Reply to
HT

Don't know about VW but some cars use a small weighted pendulum at the roller mechanism to trip a lock upon sudden deceleration. Could be that pendulum tapping against something as the car is driven.

Reply to
wtrplnet

Yer, but that is at the reel end of the belt at the lower seat level. However, you could be right and the sound at being transmitted and amplified within the interior trim.

At the top where the noise is "coming" from, all there normally only the belt attachment bracket with a height adjustment assembly (if your car is fitted with one), a spacer (possibly), an anti vibration washer and a main anchoring bolt to hold it to the pillar. This would be capped with trim.

The clicking could be caused by a slight rubbing or snagging of the trim of within the height adjuster.

Try taking the trim off and see if that helps. You could also simulate "locking the ball bearing mechanism by pulling sharply on the belt when driving to see if the clicking stops. At a last resort you could drive without a belt on to see if the angle of the belt over your shoulder stops the noise.

Sorry I can't be of any more help. Good luck.

CF

Reply to
Chuckie Finzter

.