How do I access an 1989 Ford Bronco error codes w/o a scan tool?

Could someone tell me how I can access my friend's 1989 Ford Bronco's error codes w/o purchasing a scanner?

I've read/heard that I can access them via an analog volt meter... but I do not know what the location is of the point of testing... nor the pins that I am to connect to?

Any help out there?

Thanks!

Jack

Reply to
jalin

Clem

Thanks Clem! But I am confused w/ the diagram that is shown. It shows the negative end of the analog tester going to pin #4 and the positive end of the tester going to the positve terminal of the battery... of which from that point there is a test light going from the positve battery to the same pin #4 of the data link connector located in the engine department!

I must be having a a bad mental day.... but it doesn't make sense to me that you would place the testlight probe at pin # 4 where the negative analog test probe has been placed also!

Could you help me see some daylight here?!! This has been bugging me for the past few hours since I found your response to my question. It surely must be right... but I'm not gettin' the logic or something of going back to pin # 4 .

Thank you for your quick response, btw!

Jack

Clem wrote:

Reply to
jalin

"jalin" wrote

Here, have a look at my picture:

MasterBlaster

Thanks MasterBlaster!

Wow! Your diagram looks a whole lot different than the first one I received... and it certainly makes more sense to me!

If you run across any other diagrams and explanations I'd be most grateful!

Thanks again.... Jack

MasterBlaster wrote:

Reply to
jalin

You can use either alone or just as you see it. The test lamp will flash, the needle on the VOM will sweep.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

I had to look at the picture a while as well at batauto.

It shows 2 possible hook-ups to read the code "blinks". You can either have an analogue volt meter or a 12 volt test light hooked there....

Not both...

:^D

Reply to
Clem

OK Clem & Thomas!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to go back and look at that diagram w/ another persepective! This must have been a time where I made things more complicated than it shou;d have been! :(

Thanks to both of ya' for helpin' me out here!

Jack

Clem wrote:

Reply to
jalin