How do you get water out of headlight in 92 Taurus?

I've got a '92 Taurus wagon my father gave me after my mother died I use for my Lowesmobile. It almost always has either a fog or even a level of water inside the headlight housings. Fortunately, it hasn't seemed to affect the halogen bulbs but I know it's only a matter of time before water meets hot bulb and pffffttttt.

On my 2000 Taurus, you only have to pull a little vertical metal strip to release the housing but it doesn't appear to be so simple for the '92. I'm contemplating pulling the housing, then drilling a small hole down at the bottom to encourage drainage. If worse comes to worse, I'll just have to replace the housings because I know that once breeched, they'll never be dry again.

The question remains: can anybody point me towards a web resource that will show me how to remove the housings or try to explain the procedure to me? I don't want to start removing things arbitrarily only to find out later all I did was make more work.

Thanks in advance....

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I would drill a small hole underneath and then one up on top of the housing, stear clear of the lense area. This should give you good drainage. Try getting underneath the car maybe you can get a clear shot at the bottom of the housing from that angle. Usually the screws are hard to reach behind the fascia.

Reply to
sleepdog

Just drill a small hole through the front of the lens, WBMA. The heat from the lamp will keep it dry, unless you have a major leak in one of the seams

mike

It almost always has either a fog or even a level of water inside

Reply to
Mike Hunter