How to access 01 Taurus tail light and replace the bulb?

I read my manual which said " remove 2 mushroom nuts and 5 push pins to remove the plastic cover and access tail light assembly". I did see 2 mushroom kinda stuff on which the cargo net hangs, and several round quarter size black plastic discs.

I tried to use a screwdriver to pry that mushroom nut but it ain't move even the screwdirver was bent. The plastic discs seemed to be kinda loose, but I'm not sure if they are supposed to be pried out directly or what.

Can someone tell me how to expose the whole darn tail light? Thanks a lot

Reply to
raypatten

The mushrooms are pushpins. You need to somehow get underneath, close to the post, and pull them straight out. It may help to wiggle back and forth. You may have better luck with two screwdrivers, one on each side, to keep the pressure even. Once it starts, it'll get easier.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Could you tell me if I have to do anyth> [This followup was posted to alt.autos.ford and a copy was sent to the > cited author.]

Reply to
raypatten

After checking things, there are two types of holders, at least in my

2000 Sable, which I think is pretty much the same.

The two mushrooms that hold the cargo net are threaded, not pullout. Just unscrew them counter-clockwise.

The other smaller holdowns spread around are just pushins. If you have strong fingers, you can cram them underneath the head enough to get some pressure on them to pull. They are made from numerous thin ribs of plastic that hold it in. Just keep pulling, and maybe wiggling, rotating a bit to get them out. With the two threaded mushrooms out, you may be able to get your hand between the panel and the car frame and push on the panel from behind.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

I tried to unscrew the mushroom nuts, it's darn tight. My friend and I both failed to unscrew it by hand, but I don't know if I'm supposed to use any tool to do this or I just have to work out harder in the gym. Actually it doesn't seem to be fit with any regular tool, the holes on the top are similar to the shape of the allan wrench head, but not the same.

Thanks

Andrew Rossmann wrote:

Reply to
raypatten

I tried to unscrew the mushroom nuts, it's darn tight. My friend and I both failed to unscrew it by hand, but I don't know if I'm supposed to use any tool to do this or I just have to work out harder in the gym. Actually it doesn't seem to be fit with any regular tool, the holes on the top are similar to the shape of the allan wrench head, but not the same.

Thanks

Andrew Rossmann wrote:

Reply to
raypatten

If you had been trying to pry them off originally, you may have damaged the threads. If they are similar to mine, I remember they are hollow and thread over a post. You don't want to squeeze on the body with any tool, as that will only make it harder to unscrew. You can only grab on the head and twist it.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

You mean sorta like a six pointed * which is called a torx... only been used in auto fasteners for about twenty years.. But perhaps you meant another shape

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
raypatten

??? try a 12 pt socket

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The indentation in the mushroom heads are for a large Torx driver.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann