How to check low speed fan on '91 escort?

Hi, We have a '91 escort with AC and automatic transmission. It seems to run a bit hot. Is there a way to check if the low speed fan is coming on? The high speed is coming on when the coolant temp gauge almost goes to the hot zone. When AC is turn on, the low speed fan is also on. So I assume it's not the fan problem. Can I make the low speed fan on by putting a jumper at fan switch connector? Would this force it to turn on? I'm also wondering if low speed fan relay is in working order...

Thanks for your help!