How to reassmble "quick connect" heater hose clamps in '98 Club Wagon?

My manual lacks adequate instructions. What is the order arrangement of the parts? I have cleaned all connections, and bought new 5/8" nylon retainer. I bought two new O rings for each tube size; those tubes measure 5/8" and 3/4" O.D. (Not metric!) The 3/4" retainer was unavailable at the store, but the old one is OK. I noticed a fiber washer fell out of each joint, upon disassembly yesterday. There were two O rings on one, and probably only one O ring on the other. What is the standard sequence of parts installation? How many O rings? Why TWO?? This installation must be done in an inconvenient place, so I can't get a good look at progress. Yesterday, I removed the two connections with great difficulty. I acquired the forked removal device, to no avail; it was too big, even though labelled for my vehicle. I used my bare hands. It took over an hour of struggling. Putting it together should be easy. I just don't want to make a mistake and have to disassemble it again.

Thanks

Reply to
Jerry

I think I figured this out. Retainer, O-ring, spacer, O-ring, pushed into holder. Slip all onto tube. O-rings must be lubricated appropriately.

Reply to
Jerry

Jerry opined in news:WReLd.146$ snipped-for-privacy@fe07.lga:

Sorry I missed this... yes, you are right. there's a plastic or nylon spacer between the O-rings

lube both the O-rings AND the tube

FYI: Silcone lube is superior for the purpose. Cheap at lowes or Home Depot plumbing dept

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yeah, I was wondering about lube. I have a fine silicone lube intended for plumbing joints, which I bought at a swimming pool supply. This is what I plan to use, even though I am taking the chance that it will stand the high temperature of the heater coil flow. Swimming pool plumbing never gets that hot, certainly! But this silicone grease seems to be far superior to the brown waxy stuff I use on bathroom faucets.

Turns out I have to buy a 3/4" retainer, so I'm grounded until tomorrow morning.

I appreciate your concurrence on this. I found a less-than-explicit picture in my manual, and it lacked adequate captioning. I continue to be amazed at how far the authors of manuals go, only to stop just short of adequately explaining some things.

I looked up the recommended Ford lube, and it was described as some sort of highly viscous siloxane:

ST-29 Organofunctional Dimethyl Silicone

ST-29 is an extremely stable polysiloxane copolymer fluid with no chemical additives and a viscosity of 24,000 centistokes. This fluid is similar to ST-24, with a much higher viscosity. . Applications: . moisture barrier - lubricant - corrosion barrier - release agent . Properties:

. Reduces sliding friction of metal on plastic. Damping fluid for instruments - Stable polysiloxane copolymer fluid - No chemical additives . Conforms To: . . GM Specification 9985353 Ford Specification ESF-M99B112-A

.
Reply to
Jerry