I Absolutely Love My New Mercury Milan

I'm and I needed a comfortable car to fit my long frame. I test drove a number of SUV and sedans.

The dealers in my area are not dealing much on the smaller/efficient SUVs. Even the Chevy dealer wouldn't do much on an Equinox. My Toyota dealer was the most rude. When I made an offer of $19K on a $22K list RAV4, she wouldn't negotiate. She just sniffed at me and said the best we can do is -$500.

Then I test drove a Milan. The $0-$0-$0 lease deal TV commercials got me into dealership. I jumped on an I4! What a nice car, roomy, great handling, good mileage, nicely equiped. I love the styling. Excellent automobile at a low price. I was able to negotiate the monthly lease down a few more bucks. I think I may wind up buying this car 3 years from now.

The bottom line is that I highly recommend the Milan. Ford is finally getting its shit together.

Reply to
Jim M

are these the sisters to the ford five hundred?

What is in them for a powerplant?

FWD? RWD?

How do they compare to the l> I'm and I needed a comfortable car to fit my long frame. I test drove a

Reply to
Picasso

TheMilan/Ford Fusion is based on the Mazda 6. They are front wheel drive.

Reply to
Jim M

Thats what i love about ford... not only for the last 40 years could you buy the same thing in a mercury, but you can now buy the same thing in a mazda... 1/4 ton trucks for example.. what part couldn't you interchange on those... dont have to know anything about cars to know they're the same.

Can't be efficient to have 2 (3) lines of the same product can it? I mean, the target consumer is ALMOST the same.

Reply to
Picasso

Depends! How alike do the Mazda 6 and Milan look?

80% of the market wont even realize they're the same...

Before that, how many Mazda 626 owners knew the Probe was the same car?

Look at another thread on here, where the poster doesnt even want to consider the Grand Marquis though, for 30 years, it's been the same though {usually} better built and cheaper to buy.

Want to take a CLOSE look at Toyota v Lexus models? Especially in the introductory years?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I hate to disagree, but this is not being rude. This is letting you know that they won't go down in price. Unlike Ford and Mercury dealers, they don't need to.

I agree. I am glad you like the car. Ford is making a few good cars.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

No, it is a brother to the Ford Fusion.

A 2.3L I4 or the 3.0 L Duratec.

FWD

Both good cars. Go to your Lincoln Mercury dealer to find out more.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Exactly... the market is setting the price!

That's what market economies do; allow a consumer to get much more value for money if they are willing to do a little work for it.

When the Lemmings and bunny rabbits read Consumer Reports and flock to the 'me-too' products, those who can read between the lines and know a little about what they really want get the real deals.

Have to remind you that's how Honda and Toyota got there in the first place.. but aint it grand it works both ways!

Personal experience: I too was offended when I attempted to buy a left over Pinto in 1982 and the dealer wouldnt deal... but I ended up buying a low miles Escort, which proved to be a better deal and provided a little higher satisfaction, overall.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Take if from one who has sold a lot of leases to new vehicle buyers. Buying your vehicle at lease termination is NOT a good idea. A short term lease, of two or three years, is a less expensive way to own a new vehicle but is not a good idea if you intend to keep the vehicle longer. If you intend to keep a vehicle longer than three years you will spend less if you simply buy it and finance it over a longer period. When you refinance the vehicle you will need to do so at a higher interest rate as well, and pay state taxes on the purchase. It would actually cost you around the same amount monthly to simply lease another vehicle when the lease expires.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

No the 500 is a different vehicle built on a Ford chassis first used on several Volvos. The FWD/AWD Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and the Lincoln Zephyr, known as the Lincoln MKZ for 2007, are built on a modified Ford chassis first used by Mazda in 2005. The 2006s have a 4cy and a 2L 221 hp V6. I own a 2006 Zephyr with the V6, for 2007 the V6 is upped to 3.5L. The V6 get 300 MPG and the 4 cy 34 MPG. The now discontinued Lincoln was a completely different vehicle, built on the same RWD chassis as the Jaguar 'S', the last T-bird and the 2005 Mustang with a V6 and V8 I own four LSs since 1999 and keep my 2005 at my home in Key West. It is a great vehicle, as good as any Lexus LS I ever own and 20K or more cheaper to drive home. Why Ford decided to cease production of such a fine automobile is hard to understand

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Ford is not unique in that regard. All manufactures use the same basic chassis, with the resulting economies of scale to build many vehicles, the individual vehicles produced are hardly the same. A chassis can even be modified to us on different types of vehicles as well. Toyota and Honda use the FWD car chassis as the basis for several van and SUVs. Honda for example make the so called Ridgeline 'truck' off the Accord chassis.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Why would anyone buy the 4 cyl when the V6 gets 300 MPG? That is better than a hybrid! Maybe that is the tow-truck special, when 90% of the miles are on the back of a tow-truck. ;-)

The EPA says the V6 Milan only gets 21 city, 29 highway MPG and 4 cyl is

23/31 according the Mercury website.

What were their sales figures? Was the vehicle taking sales away from the Jaguar or Grand Marquis?

I do agree that it was a great vehicle, however. I think I would have like the V6.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The only thing common about the Mercury Grand Marquis and the CV, over 'thirty years,' is the name. The Grand Marquis body, engine, tranny, suspension and even the frame have been changed and upgraded over the years. The current models are state of the art, bullet proof, as well as less expensive than many much smaller V6 FWD cars on the market. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The statement itself may not be rude, but the delivery very well could be. Kinda like the difference between a banker that wants your business and one that doesn't.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Ford finally got one right.

Hmmm, reskin a Mazda design, build it in Mexico .... and claim victory for American Innovation.

John

Reply to
John Horner

The Fusion/Milan/Zephyr (oops, Em-Kay-Zee) are derived from the Mazda 6. The Ford 500 started life as the Volvo S80.

FWD.

No relation to the LS, though the MKZ is likely to replace the LS. The LS was jointly developed with Jaguar's "S-type" and is RWD.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Ford hasn't ever figured out what to do with the Mercury brand. They should simply shut it down.

Lincoln should be the premium brand, but is also really just another grab bag.

John

Reply to
John Horner

I hope you keep your cars for a long, long time. If you trade every 3-6 years then you get your up front premium for a Toyota or Honda back at trade-in time.

John

Reply to
John Horner

It's a victory for the consumer since he gets a great car at a low price. It's not my responsibility to bail out US auto companies but in this case I was able to spend my money with a US corp. and give myself a great car at a favorable price for me.

Made in Mexico? Designed by Mazda? There's nothing I can do about that.

Reply to
Jim M

A common misconception. When comparing one brand to another you must look at the actual drive home prices, not the MSRP. Toyota and Honda dealers want top buck and more, yet offer lower than wholesale trade prices. I spent a lot more every two years to buy my another Lexus LS, than I now spend every two years to buy the four Lincoln LSs I have owned. I saved so much money on my first Lincoln LS, over what the Lexus dealer wanted for another Lexus LS, that I bought a Mustang GT convertible from him as well with most of the difference.

Since then I purchased four more GT convertibles, the latest one, I just picked up this past Saturday. The total outlay, taxes and all, with my 2005 was only $3,800 for a GT with an MSRP of $1,200 more than the 2005. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter