Oil Capacity

I have a 1994 Taurus. Had the oil changed last week. Mechanic put 1/2 quart too much in. It is way up on the stick. Will this damage/hurt anything? Should I make him take the 1/2 quart out? Thanks.

Reply to
HP

If it's "way up on the stick," it's more than 1/2 quart high. Think about it this way, usually the "add" line is 1 quart low. Now, using that distance as a reference, you should be able to have an idea about how much too much oil is in the thing.

If it's indeed 1/2 quart, I wouldn't be concerned. If it's more than that, you have a problem. If the oil is high enough for the crankshaft to hit it, it will be whipped to a froth soon and lose its lubricating qualities. By the way, it's really the greasemonkey's responsibility to fix.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I almost made a retort to the "grease monkey" term.... and then, after a small amount of thought, I had to agree with the term. A conscientious tech will add a known amount of oil to the crankcase (if he is familiar with the level, the reuslt will be in the hash marks) and then check the level. The motor gets started and checked for leaks at the drain plug and filter AFTER the tech observes the oil pressure gauge response. Shut the engine down and allow it to hot soak for a few moments and recheck the oil level - add if necessary.

I don't care if it's a "Kwikee Loob", independent shop or dealership, even small details should receive their fair share of attention.

The oil overfull is the small part of the equation.... that the service giver has changed oil and NOT checked the level is unforgiveable....

It's about the same as a doctor giving a heart transplant and not checking blood pressure afterwards....

Reply to
Jim Warman

I almost made a retort to the "grease monkey" term....

why is that jim?? you ain't no "grease monkey" you are an "automotive service technician" ;-)

Reply to
Tom

They don't. They get a nurse to do it for them. In turn, the nurse gets a nurse's assistant to do it for them.... unless you're still in the ICU. Then a machine connected directly into an artery does it.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Still, the surgeon checks the pressure. Just that she doesn't obtain the pressure herself. But she does put the catheter in that continuously measures blood pressure. And she checks the blood pressure immediately after getting the new heart working, as well as pulse.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

A conscientious tech would drain the old oil first. I think they got the quickie lube double the oil special.

The tech never drained the oil before filling it up.

But he should have know this when he checked the oil afterwards.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks for all the replies. I took it back to the "Grease Monkey" this morning. He changed the filter and let some of the oil run out. It is now at the correct level. It is kinda weird though, this morning the dipstick was showing much more than an extra quart on the stick. Should have been 1/2 quart but it was much more than that. Hmmmm...anyway, thanks to all that posted.

Reply to
HP

Time to change service stations. Seriously...

If he replaced the filter, that would account for something like 3/4 to 1 quart by itself. Then, if he had to "let some of the oil run out," that would mean that the car was probably a couple quarts overfull. Frankly, it's impossible to miss that if you simply pull the dipstick out and check the level after you change the oil.

I recently had a friend lose the engine on a Toyota because the shop didn't put enough oil in. Then they refused to admit their mistake. It was pretty much impossible to pin on them, so not even a lawsuit will help my friend out.

Let me add that I have learned to ALWAYS check both the oil level, and the filter after someone changes the oil if I don't do it myself. I've personally had cars come out from service and be 2 quarts low, and another with two quarts over. I've even had them come out with the wrong oil filter. Checking it yourself before you leave the lot will save a lot of problems.

Oh, and to Jim, I only used the term greasemonkey because that's what this guy is. I have the utmost respect for techs and even shadetree mechanics who act responsibly. No offense was intended.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Now keep an eye on it.. if it seems to gain oil again, the grease monkey is REALLY a poor one because he should have noticed the coolant in the oil.

ANd you have to decide whether to scrap the car or rebuild the 3.8 L engine

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

If coolant got into the oil would it not change the color of it? The oil is very clear.

Reply to
HP

One thing you need to watch when checking the oil in some Fords is not to pay any attention to the oil level the first time you pull the dipstick. The rubber stopper that does such a good job of preventing blowby out the dipstick tube can also cause an air lock in the tube if the oil is up to the hole in the dipstick tube down in the block. As the engine cools, vacuum may develop pulling oil into the tube resulting in an apparent high oil level. If you wipe the dipstick and reinsert it, many times, you will find a different oil level indicated. The only way around this is to pull the dipstick, wipe it and reinsert for a good reading. I got embarrased on this a few years ago an a new Taurus. I took it back to the dealer and they checked the oil in the checkin lane. Oil level was dead on. I was then instructed in this little feature. Checked it again next morning and found high oil level. Wiped and reinserted to find oil level dead on.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut