I love my new car!

It is more than I expected it to be, and Galaxy Grey is very nice.

I'm tired. But, suffice to say, exceeded all expectations so far. Very tractable engine, not at all like I had read (or remembered from the Ro80), great seats, great chassis, even has decent visibility/mirrors. Very pleasant for the motorway.

And I got 27mpg on the first, running in, 184 miles (it only had 17 miles on it; I think it must have been registered in January judging by the tax disc (end december? I can never remember how it works when you get one in the middle of the month), which could go some way to explaining the insanely cheap price).

Looking forward to see how this holds up, but I'm definitely not regretting it yet - and I was wrong about not being able to get a 'better' car than a tidy XR4i (for a given definition of better, in terms of economy, cost over a year, performance and 'fun' - safety doesn't come into it). This is a modern car that actually feels like progress has been made in nearly every area.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Pics?

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

They are grand machines... the big boss has one over a Porsche 911, although I suspect the rear seats are a factor in this case.

Mind you as Tim Kemp will testify, the 911 has two baby seats in the back! :)

Reply to
DervMan

It's a decorative parcel shelf.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

The RX8 isn't far off that...

Big car, though. Doesn't look anything like as big as it actually is.

Amazing to drive. I'm increasing what I'll do with it to let it bed in nicely and it just makes more and more power as you rev it. No wonder it beeps, you'd just keep going until the engine exploded otherwise.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Have a look in the back of a Lexus SC430 The rear seats are even too small for a quaruple amputie. The space between the front and rear headrests is actually thinner than each headrest when the seat is fully back.

that isn't fully back, that is the default middle position.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Was looking at the 575 superamerica pricelist last night (for good reason... might be getting one... really... honest... ) and noticed that "leather trimmed parcel shelf" is on there - £1060 extra. And to get the Scuderia Ferrari badges on the front wings is £1050...

The 2060 quid CD changer is asking a bit much though...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

That is because the actual shield shape that the badge sits on, is=20 actually indented into the wing first, before the enamel badge is=20 attached.

Boss had them on his 550 Maranello.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

Ahhhh - ouch.... that explains it a little then!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Hmm, I dunno, a Changer that holds 2060 CDs would be worth a pound of my money!

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yep. I remember, his old 550 was one that belonged to a Leeds footballer, who=20 suddenly discovered a large legal bill to pay a couple of years ago.

So my boss got it cheap (ish) for a 550. He bragged about how it had the wing badges.=20 Then he drove into the back of a Fiesta that stopped on a roundabout. That cost him to put right. And worse damage and it would have had to go back to the factroy for=20 repair, as the wings are welded on and he had the badge/shiild option

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

My RX-7 had that as well. I lost count of the amount of times I heard it.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

What limits the max RPM of a Wankel? (comments like "the limiter" need not be replied with) - is it cooling, flamefront speed, apex seals or what? They are inherently well balanced and have no valves...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It's crying out for a noisy exhaust you know....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I've heard stories of motors living to 12,000rpm. Not for long though. Mine was quite happy at 8k all the time.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Flame front is one factor I've read about mostly in connection with higher-octane fuels, ability to spark enough, get enough fuel in. Strength of the E-shaft.

But, in the case of mine, I suspect it's the limiter, period. The 230s have extra ports for better breathing, but I don't see any reason why the 190 couldn't go to 9K too.

230s also have a third injector per chamber.

What I really don't get is why the 230 is so consistently bad on fuel - I was under the impression that below 3,750 it uses one injector/port,

6,000 uses 2 injectors, 1 port, then above 6K you get three injectors, 2 ports.

I think the positioning/length/duration of the ports is an issue, too.

Apex seals really aren't an issue anymore. Apparently non-turbo 13Bs happily do 200K miles.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK