New 2013 Escape

Has anyone had a chance to test out a new 2013 Escape? I'd be interested in hearing opinions on it. What I've read sounds appealing, but the local dealer doesn't have one yet.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

hearing opinions on it. What I've read

I'm kind of waiting on drivers' reviews also. I still have my 2002 Escape, and have been very happy with its performance and lack of repairs, but it IS getting old. The 2013, from what I've read of the specs, is about the same size as mine instead of like the later Escapes that were about the size of an older Explorer.

Reply to
SC Tom

All the media reviews I've read have been very positive, and seem to think it's a great upgrade. Do a google search for the reviews...

Derek Gee

If the Escapes grew larger it's not by much. My 2011 seems to be the same size as my 2001. The best improvement in the 10 years is a smoother transmission.

2013 is a big change in style. Now they look like all the others. Plus only 4 cylinder engines, $premium$ gas and losing the tailgate window that opens are changes for the worse. I was worried they were going to change last year so I hurried up and bought the '11.

Guy

Reply to
PrairieGuy

"Ford says all Escapes will run fine on regular-grade gas, but both EcoBoost engines will perform best and make maximum horsepower on premium."

From this webpage:

I have a 2008 Mariner, and we never use the tailgate window, so I don't see that as big loss. The optional 2.0 Ecoboost offers 240 hp with premium and

233 with regular gas and it gets better gas mileage. Sounds like a winner to me...

I prefer the styling of the current model, but that brick shape has poor aerodynamics, and gets blown all around the road on windy days, so I'd be willing to give it up for more stability.

Derek Gee

engines will perform best and make

that as big loss. The optional 2.0

better gas mileage. Sounds like a winner to

aerodynamics, and gets blown all around the

I use the liftgate window, but probably not enough to miss it, either.

I noticed one of the cons is "interior storage space." After comparing the specs, there is hardly any difference between the 2013 and my 2002. In almost every "room" category, it's roomier than my '02:

2013 2002

Seating capacity 5 5 Passenger volume (cu. ft.) 98.1 Cargo volume (cu. ft.) behind 1st row 68.1 64.8 behind 2nd row 34.3 33.0

Front Headroom (in.) 39.9 40.4 Rear Headroom (in.) 39.0 39.2 Front Legroom (in.) 43.1 41.6 Rear Legroom (in.) 36.8 36.4 Front Shoulder Room (in.) 56.0 56.3 Rear Shoulder Room (in.) 55.3 55.9 Front Hip Room (in.) 54.8 53.4 Rear Hip Room (in.) 52.4 49.0

I do like the leather seats in mine, but that doesn't appear to be an option until the SEL model. If I was to get the SE with the 1.6L EcoBoost (instead of my 3.0L DuraTech) and no leather, it's about $2,000 more than what I paid for mine in

2002. Not that big of an increase really. And from what I read, I wouldn't be losing much (if any) in the way of acceleration, but would be gaining quite a bit in gas mileage, even running regular. I don't know if the actual difference between the mileage figures between regular and premium would be worth the extra 25 to 30¢ per gallon that I'd pay around here.

I might have to go take a test drive in one whenever they get a few in at the local Ford dealer.

Reply to
SC Tom

I decided to order a 2013 Escape. Dealer figures it will be mid/late June before I'll get it. They don't even have their first one yet, so I ahve not actualyl driven one, but I am confident it will be fine. Dealer said if I changed my mind, they'd let me off the hook. I never owned an Escape before, but my Sister had a 2001 that I liked. After it was totaled in an accident, she got a RAV4 (like my SO and my other Sister), but I preferred the older Escape. The RAV4s have an uncomfortable driving position (at least for me), poor control layout and they are noiser than even the 2001 Escape. I am driving a Fiesa now (which actually has a much better driving position than the RAV4) but want something biggger (but not too big) and plan to pass the Fiesta to my Son to repalce his older car.

Ed

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Just wondering if you have gotten your new Escape yet?

Reply to
SC Tom