ID Taurus transaxel?

Have a 99 Taurus. Evidently Ford uses 2 transaxel types on this car, AX4N or AX4S for the 3.0 engines. The type transaxel is supposed to be on a tag over the bell housing but on mine it has decomposed in engine oil. My book says the TransAx ID is also on the "Main valve cover where it bolts to the unit". How do I know which one I've got?

Reply to
AHoudini

ID Taurus transaxel? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sat, Oct 30, 2004, 12:12pm (EDT-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (AHoudini) Have a 99 Taurus. Evidently Ford uses 2 transaxel types on this car, AX4N or AX4S for the 3.0 engines. The type transaxel is supposed to be on a tag over the bell housing but on mine it has decomposed in engine oil. My book says the TransAx ID is also on the "Main valve cover where it bolts to the unit". How do I know which one I've got?

Reply to
Eric Toline

It IS the Vulcan

Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sat, Oct 30, 2004, 12:12pm (EDT-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (AHoudini) Have a 99 Taurus. Evidently Ford uses 2 transaxel types on this car, AX4N or AX4S for the 3.0 engines. The type transaxel is supposed to be on a tag over the bell housing but on mine it has decomposed in engine oil. My book says the TransAx ID is also on the "Main valve cover where it bolts to the unit". How do I know which one I've got?

Reply to
AHoudini

It is stamped into the pan. AX4N: speaks for itself. AXOD or AX4S: it is the AX4S.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Precicely.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Precicely.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

CJB opined

Stupid writers! Otherwise known as the transmission pan.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Well it really is a "valve cover" kinda, they are talking about the side cover on the trans. If you take that cover off you find the *valve* body. :) Ive always called it the "side cover". I guess you could call it the "valve body cover" if you really wanted to. The trans pan is on the bottom covering the filter, although the side cover is a pan too, maybe we should call it the valve body pan? :)

Reply to
Scott M

Scott M opined

Hmm...my bad,

on earlier units, it's stamped on the bottom pan, like on my 95 for instance

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

No, the Vulcan wagons & sedans could have either one.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1