Idle set.

I know it says in big block letters that idle and air mixture are factory set and cannot be adjusted.Can anyone tell me why not.There is an idle adjustment screw on my 92 topaz.Is this an environmental issue or mechanical. Thanks

Reply to
darrell darcy

The idle speed is controlled by the ECM. The screw you see is to set the base idle which is not necessarily the idle speed that the ECM is going to want. If you set the idle speed too high, you may start getting fault codes and erattic engine performance. The only thing you can do in that area unless you know exactly what you are doing is to clean the throttle body which will usually correct any problems related to the physical adjustment of the throttle. Bottom line is to leave it as is unless you know both why you are making an adjustment and exactly how to do it.

Reply to
lugnut

Reply to
Thomas Moats