Is the 6.0L trouble?

I'm wanting to purchase around an '02 - '03, based on price range, F250 4x4 Crew cab with the diesel engine. I've heard about problems with the 6.0L PSDs. Is this a widespread problem or is it just people who have had problems exaggerating the problems they have had with the engines?

Is there anything else I should be concerned about?

Thanks

Trevor

Reply to
Trevor

While the early 6.0s did have many concerns, these seem to have been addressed along the way.... Personally I would buy a 6,0 in a heartbeat... but I cannot justify having a diesel... any diesel.

Wanting a diesel is much different than needing a diesel... in my case, there are only two weeks in a year that I could treat a truck like this the way it needs to be treated.... The other 50 weeks in a year would be dedicated to mistreating the truck with sub-zero starts, long idle times, light loads and short trips. The exhaust aftertreatments are susceptible to problems from wet stacking... the VGT vanes and the EGR valve can fail to operate correctly and this can offer many diffrerent running concerns. Keeping the combustion chamber temps near optimum is important for troublefree operation....

Avoid a modified truck like the plague.... chips and open weave (K&N type) filters are extremely hard on these trucks.... The Navistar version of this engine is available with only 230 HP as the top dog... Fords version offers

325 HP... It is already a "hotrod"... trying to extract more power with a tuner will, at some point in time, overstress the head bolts which are already close to failing even in stock trim.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Well said. Something I've never figured out is how a guy can "chip" one of these and then when the engine fails (at a $3500 price tag) go and bitch at the shop foreman because he will not honor the

100K Ford powertrain warranty.
Reply to
Kruse

Friend of mine just bought a PowerStroke dually. It had a K&N air filter. We took the entire air track apart, it was full of grit. So much for K&N.

Al

Reply to
Big Al