Excursion questions

Hello all, I have the opportunity to purchase a 2000 Excursion Limited with the V10 and 4.30 axle. The truck has @ 22,000 miles on it. This is a private sale so there is no warranty and the 3 years factory warranty has lapsed as the in service date was early in 2000.

Does anyone have an opinion of a reasonable price for the truck and also does anyone have an idea of the mileage I can expect with the 4.30 axle in the following scenarios.

- local driving (kid taxi for the wife)

- A family vacation, not towing and cruising at 65-70 MPH

- towing @ 6500#'s of camper at 60-65 MPH

Any help would be appreciated. I have been wrestling with the pickup vs excursion question and finally settled on the excursion and now am trying to decide if the V10 fuel mileage warrants the additional expense of the Diesel at acquisition.

Thanks and best regards Joe

Reply to
ja

I have a 2001 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 with the V10 and 3.73. I get about 10 mpg around town, up to 13 highway and 8 towing a 30' 6500# travel trailer. If you can afford the up front cost of a diesel, go for it, but you won't be disappointed with the performance of the V10. I've heard it takes a few years to offset the cost of diesel vs. gas but it's up to you. Go with what you can afford.

Jay

Reply to
Jay

Try

for a rough idea of the cost.

Reply to
Tom F.

I've got the 4.3 gears in my F-250 Super Cab 4x4 and don't really recommend them. Especially if you aren't going to be towing a lot. My dad has simular truck, (his is an auto vs my 5 spd manual), with

3.73 gears and its mileage is better by 1-2 mpg on the highway.

I usually get 12-12.5 mpg locally. I live in a rural setting and do stop & go stuff in a small city. If you do a lot of stop and go, expect poorer.

If I slow to 55-60 mpg, I can get 14-15 mpg. Running at 75, I drop back to the 12-13 mpg range.

I don't tow as much weight as you will. I tow a 2 place enclosed snowmobile trailer weighing under 2500 lbs and at 70 mph, I get 10-11 mpg.

I find my mileage is better than just about everyone that posts on this newsgroup, but I'll admit I drive like I've got an egg between the foot and the pedal. (But my mileage is representative as my dad's truck usually does 1-2 mpg in same type of driving.) The V-10 is very responsive and you have to really work to control the urge to put your foot in it!

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead