Lincoln LS

I test drove a 2000 Lincoln LS and have the following observations:

Engine was powerful, no . . . very powerful!

Car was almost silent in park, nice and quiet.

However, I didn't like anything much more than that. Still has too much granddad on the interior. Lots of blind spots, leather was kind of stiff and uncomfortable.

Suspension seemed questionable.

Battery in trunk was sort of cool.

Overall rating B-

I would much rather drive a Camry or Accord. Ford still has a long way to go.

Any opinions here? I'm not trying to troll. Just a long time Ford owner who would like to return but I don't feel comfortable with their products. I've been burned too many times.

Reply to
Don Noble

Don Noble opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Why dont you try a few year older -96, 97- Jag and let us know...Then try a Volvo... if none of those suit your fancy. I dont think you'll be back.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Thomas Moats opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Wooo.....

Thomas, I feel your pain.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
Thomas Moats

I doubt Mr. Noble is an expert in automotive engineering or suspensions. However, he is welcome to express his opinions.

While I would argue that there are many people who like the LS and he should respect these people's decisions (after all, some of them I would bet like the "granddad" part of the car, because they are granddads), he does not have to be an expert to share his views with us.

Personally, I would not like the LS. I believe that when it came out it got good reviews in Car and Driver for those types of people who like big "granddad"-type cars. I am sure that if I did like that sort of car, the LS (especially with the manual transmission) would be one of the cars I would look at and consider.

To each his own.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Utz

Thomas Moats opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Well, I had to stifle MY own self a little..

But like i said... if he doesnt like a known quality Ford product from Europe, then....

Sides.. I thought it would be boring to tout my 95 taurus 3.0, ax4n AGAIN

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I thought I was specific. OK. Here's an exact benchmark. Toyota Avalon. Better priced, better handling, smoother ride, dollar for dollar outduels the Lincoln LS. Do I need to go into the Lexus line?

Reply to
Don Noble

I doubt very seriously what you say is of great enough importance to even have a small war.

You did not ask. I never did say I was.

Who said you could not?

99? Did you buy it used?

No it is not totally new suspension design, it is the same basic suspension, just refined. It's called evolution. Happens in ALL car lines.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

V.B. - I think that's a matter of opinion when comparing midsize sedans. I don't think RWD vs FWD becomes an issue when referring to dependability and comfort. But everyone has their own opinion. Aint that America!

Reply to
Don Noble

Its really not worth arguing over. I had a rack and pinion replacement AND an air leveling system replaced. $1300+ Do I need to mention water pump, starter, and an O2 sensor all within the first 50,000 miles? This will be my last post. Ford has a long way to go.

Reply to
Don Noble

I have had a 2001 LSV8 Premium Package since new, and consider it to be the best car I've driven, by far! This is not a revamp of your Grand-dads Continental by any means. Many people don't understand that this car was designed from the ground up by Ford's PAG to be a strong domestic response to all the foreign cars that fill the luxo-sports group, such as the BMW 3 & 5 series, various Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura models, lower end Jags, etc. As such, I believe that they hit the nail square on the head! This car can run with the best of them in acceleration, braking, handling, and, wait for it - reliability! Power is not an issue - the 3.9 liter engine is in a class of its own for smooth powerful sophistication. The 5 speed auto is right up there, and makes most GM slush-boxes seem just that. The suspension is definitely European in character, and in combination with good rubber (like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S) can easily leave the Bimmers et al behind on the twisty bits. The suspension design and application is nothing less than outstanding for any car in the class, and is better than many in classes above. The battery in the trunk is not there "to be cool", it's there to help this rear wheel drive car deliver an almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution. I could go on and on... The seat is firm but comfortable, as any car that can give you a nosebleed from the cornering forces it can generate needs to be. I've driven the car through two tanks full on a straight run and have not been the slightest bit uncomfortable. I've basically beaten the crap out of the thing since I picked it up 40K miles ago, and have had no problems whatsoever, other than rear window controllers replaced under warrantee, with a smile (known problem 'til mid 2001 production).

Anyways, if you can't tell I don't like this car, suffice to say that it will be replaced with an '04 this fall. And, no, I don't work for Ford. Actually used to be a GM kind of guy...

So, Ford's big secret is this - if you want a true Bimmer-beater for $10K to $15K less, with equal to better reliability (J. D. Powers), a stealth car that excels in all it does, a luxo-sleeper, just pull into your local Lincoln dealer. Don't be put off by the fact that the other customers are old enough to be your parents / grandparents. They're there for the Town Car. If you're looking for a Camry or Accord equivalent, you're in the wrong place altogether!

Just my opinion...

Don Noble wrote:

Reply to
Bruce Pearson

And I owned a Toyota Cressida once and it was the most over priced unreliable piece of crap I ever owned. I personally won't buy another Toyota. I know making a decision based on one bad car is not completely rational but I personally think Toyotas are dull, over rated, and over priced, but others can have their own opinion. And as for Lexus - it like paying double the price to own a modern Rambler. To be fair I have probably spent a little bit more on repairds to Fords than repairs to Toyotas, but then I have owned 10 Fords and only 1 Toyota - and the Toyota is only a few dollars behind the total for all the Fords combined.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White