lincoln mark 8 1996 air suspension

Hi! Just had a situation on this car where it lowered too much and compressor would not kick on. Played with te fuses, started it , and came back up, so far OK but every 15 minutes there is a "check air ride" message on screen - is this a computer problem or something else? If it was a big leak I would think it would not stay up like it has been for the last few days. I wondered about check valves getting stuck or something like that . Also, is there any shrader valve on system anywhere that I could just pump up system with an air hose? Any info is appreciated. This is otherwise a very nice car. Thanx, bob

-- Message posted using

information at

ignatz

You have a leak and the compressor is having to run too much to keep up. To verify this start the car and let it get to trim height. Then turn off the suspension switch and drive the car around with the suspension turned off. You will likely see one or more corners drop. At 12 years your Lincoln is due for air spring (or air struts). For a ton of info on Lincoln air suspension, check out: www.lincolnsonline= .com

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Unfortunately, I don't have the service CD for '96 autos, just Ford trucks. I looked at the diagrams for the Explorer Limited, and there was no Schrader shown. If by chance there is one, my guess would be that it will be close to or on the compressor. If there isn't one, and you really want to install one, there are numerous types of 'vampire' taps that will install around the air line wherever you want it. Check any refrigeration service house to find them.

Good luck, SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

There is no schrader valve on the Mark VIII. There was on earlier systems, but they disappeared in the early 90s. Tapping one of the lines would work, but it's not a good idea. The air won't go through the dryer and you don't want moisture in the system. The best course of action is to find and fix the problem. The compressor is not designed to make up for leaks in the system, Running it with a leak will quickly trash the compressor adding more expense to the repair.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Yuk! Thanx for all the great info - thanks to both Toms! I wonder, how much do these air struts cost to have done? I got this car very cheap, so not too worried about some expense - thanx again, bob

-- Message posted using

information at

ignatz

I did the rear airbag replacement on my Crown Vic myself. There are 2 very good parts sites for ford air suspension:

The Lincoln web site Tom mentioned is full of info.

If you are not planning to do the repair yourself, these are still great places to get info or the parts for your mechanic to do the job.

Hope this is useful -

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton