Looking for info

Hi,

I just spent nearly two hours searching the web for some info on a station wagon my dad used to have back in the seventies. No luck. So I hope there's an expert in this group that can help me out.

He bought this station wagon in 1976 (it was 5 years old at the time) and it was light green. Comparing the only picture that we have of it (sorry...unable to scan it) to pictures on the net, I would have to say it resembles a 1971 Galaxie 500 Station Wagon. Especially the grille looks to be right on. But according to my dad it was called a Ford Range Wagon or Ranch Wagon.

Apparently it was sort of an exclusive model because it had a very powerful motor in it. According to my mom it did 90 mph easily! And her foot wasn't even all the way down. My dad was later told that only 4 of these wagons were ever built and that it had approx. 400hp.

During my little search on the web I came across this piece of work

and according to my dad it looksvery much like his old station wagon. Granted it's the wrong color, but notmany of them were built and it's very fast. My dad still claims it was called either a Range Wagon or a Ranch Wagon. Can anyone here confirm the existance of a Ford station wagon that goes by either of the afore mentioned names but with the appearance similar to the station wagon in the picture? And if so, can you point me to a website that has some additional information about this car?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Marcel Kuijper

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country, I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it." -JFK Inaugural Address

Reply to
Spike

In those days all Ford station wagons were called Ranch Wagons.

mike hunt

Marcel Kuijper wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country, I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it." -JFK Inaugural Address

Reply to
Spike

Full-size Ford wagons of the 60s and early 70s had three trim levels:

- Ranch Wagon -- basic no-chrome model

- Country Sedan -- mid-level

- (LTD) Country Squire -- top of the line, usually with fake wood trim

Most of the Ranch Wagons had small engines, but there may have been special police models made.

Reply to
Bob

In that case it was definately a Ranch Wagon. But it's still not easy finding one specific type of car, eventhough the internet is swamped with information.

But thanks to this group I've veen able to narrow it down to either an LTD or a Galaxie 500 XL. It would have to be a 1970 or 1971 model. I haven't been able to find any other pictures, besides the Police Interceptor, that even comes close to what I'm looking for.

My dad now realizes that he made a mistake selling the his 5 year old Ford and getting a brandnew Chevy stationwagon just because the salesman offered him a deal he couldn't refuse. The salesman got a good car! I showed him what classic Fords are worth these days. He hates Chevy now.

Anyway....thanks to everyone here for helping me out.

Reply to
Marcel Kuijper

i know that the old blacksmith in my old home town used to have an old ford wagon with a 428 High compression engine in it.. but in 1973 -1974 all domestic cars (did not include pickups) were severely detuned and compression was rolled back for emissions. so in conclusion i would think that 1976 would be the wrong year .... besides even back then a big block was STILL a big block.... my old mans 1974 new yorker could bury the needle past 120 mph with its old 440

Reply to
Rob

oops my bad did not see the five year old part... so yah in 71 it prolly had a 428 cid with 10-1 compression and yes it would move its ass in a hurry

Reply to
Rob

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country, I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it." -JFK Inaugural Address

Reply to
Spike

ahh yes the 289 but that was 1970 in 74 compression went from 9 or 10 to

1 all the way down as low as 7.5 in some cases... i know i had a 302 talk about a gutless wonder...but then i put flat top pistons in it and BAM ran perfect.... smoothe idle great throttle response and oy yeah ability to smoke the rear tire off my pickup ... with the old pistons i could not even break the ass end loose
Reply to
fireater