Loose gas pedal

We've got a '92 Tempo w. 173,000 km on it. The gas pedal is rather loose. It will wiggle sideways, turning on the swivel bolt. It appears to simply be the sleeve around the swivel bolt that's too big. The cable attachment is fine, and the swivel bolt itself is fully tight in the bracket, and there's no apparent intention of the pedal breaking off or anything. It's just a little annoying that the pedal moves around with the car.

It works fine, of course the springs (original) are a little worn so it doesn't go all the way up anymore. The Haynes manual is useless when it comes to the pedals, and I can't tell by looking at the pedal if there's supposed to be any bushings around the swivel bolt.

We haven't had the car long enough to really notice if it's always been like that or not... but is it fixable ? Or just one of those "old Ford" things we have to live with?

Reply to
Mr. Bunny