Loose brake pedal

The brake pedal on my 67 bug hangw forward of the clutch pedal about 3 or 4 inches and is hard to get your foot on. I've looked for a spring or something that would hold it back even with the clutch but cant seem to see anything on it. The pedal works just as it should when you press it but always falls forward when you take your foot off of it.

Any ideas on this? Does anyone know of a part for this or how to repair it? thx/jc

Reply to
Jerry

On 23 Apr 2004 20:02:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jerry) ran around screaming and yelling:

crawl WWAAAAYYY down in the floorboard with a flashlight...there is a "pedal stop" that is basically a piece of small angle iron that is bolted to the floor pan just forward of the brake and clutch pedal..you may have to pull the carpet back to see it....it has a 13mm headed bolt that is loosened to move teh stop... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Mnie rotted away and when I replaced my floor pans, the new plate didn't move forward enough to stop the pedals. I ended up cutting out a thick block of wood and bolting that down in it's place.

Also, this is important: Do NOT let your clutch pedal fall flat to the floor (forward). If you remove the stop plate, you had better have a hand on the clutch pedal. If it swoops forward, your clutch cable will fall off the end of a hook, that is positioned inside the chassis (the hump between the two seats). That cable is a real bastard to put back on seeing how it's pretty damn touch to get inside the chassis if your bottom plate is welded down.

-Ray

Reply to
Ray Dios Haque

Joey, thanks for the info. I've looked around and can not see anything. When you say "forward of the brake and clutch pedal", do you mean forward towards the front of the car, or forward towards the seat? Is it on the floor pan in front of (towards the seat) the pedals? If nothing is there I wonder why. Thanks again for your help.

Reply to
Jerry

The Pedal Stop is bolted to the floor in front of the pedals and hitting the bottom of the pedals. might be covered with dirt or rust. look under the vehicle in that area and you should see the nut and bolt

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

On 24 Apr 2004 15:47:16 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jerry) ran around screaming and yelling:

Jerry, forward as in "forward"...LOL...to the front of the pedals...sometimes it is hard to see because the way the carpet and th efactory tarboard(if yours is still intact) is cut, it makes for a great catchall for dirt and gravel....shopvac the area and maybe even scrape at it a bit.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

As Muir would say "front means FRONT". :-)

Generally when we say front, we mean the front of the car. Forward, would be facing the front. "Left" means drivers side, and "Right" is passenger. These are the laws of Bug physics, as stated by John Muir.

-Ray

Reply to
Ray Dios Haque

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:24:01 -0400, "Ray Dios Haque" ran around screaming and yelling:

i guess in Europe, Muir would actualy *be* the idiot... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Most of Europe he's still sane, just here In UK where we drive properly (**) he's the idiot.

JAmes

Reply to
Juper Wort