Lubrication of Door Locks

To keep the door latches operating properly, the car shop manual for my

1991 Mercury Grand Marquis states: "Using lubricant D7AZ-19584-AA or equivalent, spray into latch opening and manually cycle ten times."

Does anyone know what type of lubricant this is and where it might be purchased other than a dealership?

Thanks.

George Parkville (Baltimore), MD

Reply to
George Nuetzel

George Nuetzel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@BCPL.net:

It's liquided graphite. Any hardware store. Careful it's messy while applying.

Suggest just putting it on the key and insert several times.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Won't help the door latches at all doing it that way. That only helps the lock cyls. ANd I THINK the referenced lube is heavier than the colloidal graphite you refer to. It is noted as "multi-purpose grease"

Neo 1:11 is a penetrating or creeping spray multipurpose grease. Chevron FM EP is food grade, but will also work. KC SlipShot is a red penetrating grease, and some of the clear lithium greases are good too. I am not a fan of "lubriplate".

Wurth HHS 2000 is possibly the most widely available (proffessional product) and is excellent - as are MOST of Wurth's products. Pricy, but usually worth it.

I have used Castrol Motorcycle chain lub - very effective, but dirty black.

For noisy door check-straps (a big problem on a lot of Mopars - and some Fords and others) I use anti-seize. Anything else generally lasts just long enough to get it out the door.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

snipped-for-privacy@sny.der.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's what happens when you read things in a hurry and while tired... but I guess you can figure that out

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks for all of your inputs. It was my mistake and the subject line should have said door LATCHES.

George

George Nuetzel wrote:

Reply to
George Nuetzel