Missing MIL Bulb

Imagine preparing a 1998 Taurus for an emission test..(OBD-2), New Platinum Spark plugs, New Air filter, Fresh synthetic oil change, Engine Scan indicate no stored codes and all readings in the best range...then.... you get a fail OBD-ll.. reason..your Service Engine Light did NOT come on with the key in the run position before you start the engine... You figure the bulb must have burnt out. So you take the dash apart to replace the bulb only to find out that the bulb for the "Service Engine Light.." was NEVER there, the car did not have one all this time. The place where the SEL should have been is all shiny and new. How do I get the bulb holder that screws into place that holds the bulb.. is this something that Ford should still be responsible for, even after five(5) years. Two years ago when I replaced the original battery, I discovered that the battery hold-down clamp was never installed also. What am I to do, buy a new instrument cluster with all the parts installed. This does not bode well in my state where they are all uptight about OBD-ll.....

Reply to
V.B. Millar

The holder and bulb should be available at any auto parts store.

max-income -- Every day is a good day- it's just that some are better than others.

Reply to
max-income

Technically, that might be considered emissions related, and be covered by the extended emissions warranty. If nothing else, it's a defect. Talk to the service department at the dealer and see if they are willing to do the right thing.

Reply to
John Alt

Sad to say, None of the Auto Parts store carries it, and not even the dealer has the bulb-holder/Socket, the dealer was calling around to find out if it was sold separately... The junk yard will not sell just the socket, they want me to buy the entire . instrument cluster..They all said this was not something that was routinely replaced. What a freaking pickle.. If I needed a reason not to buy another Ford, after 26 years, this is it...!

Reply to
V.B. Millar