My car is shaking!

Greetings all! I am new to this newsgroup. I figured Id ask you guys before I went to the dealership because I'm sure that they would screw me. I just recently purchased a 97 taurus LX (3.0 L v6 Duratec engine) from the dealership with 36k on it. I really enjoyed driving it. It ran great, it has a phenomenal amount of pickup (despite taking its time to downshift when I press the throttle). I was enjoying it a lot until I noticed a slight shake when I went above 40-50 mph. When I go 80 or so the car shakes quite abruptly. I was thinking that maybe its a wheel hub, but I don't hear anything. Its awfully upsetting that after less then 2 months of owning the car, it already has a problem! The vehicle has over 40k on it now, so no warranty coverage anymore :( What could this be?! Thank you so much in advance!

-Tony

P.S. Why does my car have dual exhaust outlets meanwhile my friends taurus SE with the duratec has only one exhaust outlet?

Reply to
Tony

Tony,

Have your tires checked out. Might be out of balance and need rotating too.

Reply to
mjjohn

Do you think its possible that a wheel hub is loose? I really hope not because my old nissan had a loose wheel hub, and it was very upsetting when I got the bill.

Also....is it possible for me to get an SHO style rear end with those nice oval exhausts and the grooves in the rear bumper so the exhausts really show? I think that'd look nice!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Tony

Reply to
Tony

Re: My car is shaking! Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sun, Jul 6, 2003, 12:10am (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Tony)

Do you think its possible that a wheel hub is loose? I really hope not because my old nissan had a loose wheel hub, and it was very upsetting when I got the bill.

Reply to
Eric Toline

If the car was smooth and went to a violent shake as you describe, I suspect you have a damaged or failing tire especially, if these are the original tires in that mileage range. This is not a car problem - it is likely a tire problem. Get it checked out by someone capable of diagnosing it. Problems like this can usually be diagnosed n short order by a qualified tech.

As far as the dual exhaust, that is Ford not being able to make up their mind from year-to-year on whether appearance, performance or cost is preferred by the customer.

Reply to
lugnut