My turn: rear brakes not working; reset isolator?

I have a Fox body mustang, '88, with rear disks transplanted from an SVO.

They (rears) worked when I drove the car regularly but I just took it off blocks and now the rears arent working.

I vaguely remember a reference to this in the past.. like what looks like a proportioning valve is actually a system isolator

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Backyard Mechanic opined in news:Xns956EAA48377DABkMch6d@207.115.63.158:

DOH!

Violated my own rules!

Teh COMPLETE brake setup, master cylinder, front and rear brakes was from the SVO

EXCEPT for the lines and this 'isolator/valve"..

I see no evidence of fluid leaks and the rear calipers are relatively new.

What i want to know is how to reset the isolator shuttle, if that's what it is.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I have the SSBC kit in my 88, all they did there was remove the spring from the proportioning valve, assuming the isolator valve works along the same principals I don't think that could be your problem. You might need to adjust the rear pads closer to the rotor. You do that by taking a special tool that fits into the piston and then screwing, or unscrewing, as the case my be, until there is just barely enough clearance to put the calipers back on. Once adjusted you need to remember to use your handbrake religiously to keep the pads properly adjusted. Buy or rent the proper tool to do this, the "one size fits all" tool sold at discount auto parts stores in worthless. The purpose of this set up is to keep the handbrake properly adjusted as the rear pads wear. You are also going need this handy little gismo when it comes time for pad replacement.

Reply to
ironrod

Do you get any fluid to the rear? If not sounds like you do need a reset. Try bleeding the fronts to reset it. (use the somebody pushes on the pedal method) You could also bleed at the valve if its easy to get to. It sounds like that piston in the valve needs to be reset (centered).

Reply to
Scott M

You violated yourself? .... can you DO that???????

*wink*

Kate

| > They (rears) worked when I drove the car regularly but I just took it | > off blocks and now the rears arent working. | >

| > I vaguely remember a reference to this in the past.. like what looks | > like a proportioning valve is actually a system isolator | | DOH! | | Violated my own rules! | | Teh COMPLETE brake setup, master cylinder, front and rear brakes was from the | SVO | | EXCEPT for the lines and this 'isolator/valve".. | | | I see no evidence of fluid leaks and the rear calipers are relatively new. | | What i want to know is how to reset the isolator shuttle, if that's what it | is.

Reply to
SVTKate

I violate myself daily.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset