Navigator Stalls at Idle

I've got a 1998 Navigator. When I turn the ignition is idles very low and sometimes dies. It runs great in drive or when I accelerate and runs on the hightway for hours. But when I come to a stop, it dies. Any clue what's causing this?

Reply to
Anonymous

Anonymous wrote in news:42fffc1a$0$17761$ snipped-for-privacy@news.echoforum.com:

The Idle speed {air} Control (ISC or IAC) dirty or inop... is one possibility.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

My wifes 89 thunderbird did this so I read the trouble codes and it said it was the EGR valve. Sure enough, the diaphram in it was baked and had holes in it.

Reply to
Mach 1

"Majority" wrote: > I've got a 1998 Navigator. When I turn the ignition is idles > very low and sometimes dies. It runs great in drive or when I > accelerate and runs on the hightway for hours. But when I > come to a stop, it dies. Any clue what's causing this?

Is your ck eng light on? if not replace the IAC valve (idle air control) well known to stick and cause the symptoms your describing good luck.

Reply to
Marty