need more help with my nonstarting ford taurus

My 1987 ford Taurus will not start, car?s dash display reads taillight out. Is it possible that a backup light malfunction is sending feedback into the system causing car to start.

Reply to
needhelpinsoutherncal

needhelpinsoutherncal opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Does the engine crank? If it cranks, do you have spark? Does the fuel pump run when you turn ign on prior to start?

Have you checked the taillight bulbs?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

hi, the car cranks we have no spark, the fuel pump has come on one time. my husband has changed all taillight bulbs. gas to fuel rail is fine.

Reply to
needhelpinsoutherncal

================ Anythings possible but that is not very likely. If it cranks but has no spark your best bet would be the ignition module.

Reply to
Scott M

needhelpinsoutherncal opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Agree with Scott M..

Likely the ignition module on side of distributor..

special little wrench, 2 screws, MAKE SURE clean off old caky grease, use dielectric grease, all from auto parts store.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

No. The systems to look at is ignition and fuel this is assuming the engine mechanically sound enough to run.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

If you have no spark it will not run, sort of why it's called a spark ignition engine. The tail lights are in absolutely no way involved. The most likley cause is the ignition module, take it off and have it tested.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

My husband had the ignition module tested over a month ago, it was bad, so he bought a new one, replaced it and still the car would not start. We are both going nuts with this car. Helppppppp.

Reply to
needhelpinsoutherncal

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Thomas Moats opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

For the cost of the tow, they can get a test lite... see if it flashes when connected to dist side of coil from grd as engine cranks. And always on when conn from ign sw side to grd.

and if it doesnt flash and coil is getting power, then can go to junkyard and get a whole distributor. And a new coil.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

====================== And then... If it still wont run what do they do?.....;)

Reply to
Scott M

He's been working on it for at least a month..................something tells me that this is beyond him.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

I've heard that the distributors have problems. I'd be reluctant to install a junk yard distributor.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Ign. Module, pick up in the dist., bad coil.

Check the coil first, if thats good, I'd replace the pick up in the dist.

C. Vaughan

Reply to
C. Vaughan