Help my Taurus will not start

Hi, I am in desperate need of some help with my 1987 Ford Taurus. It will not start, it turns over but that is it. My husband replaced a coil and some kind of relay switch that we needed a special wrench for, still it will not start. Help!!!! We are both totally clueless on what the problem could be. thanks so much!!!

Reply to
needhelpinsoutherncal

The first thing you must do is to determine if the problem is spark or fuel.

Check for spark at the plugs. Use a spark catcher. Do not just let the spark jump or you can blow your ignition module. If you have spark, Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and check to see if you are getting fuel.

The results will determine what you do next.

L.

not start, it turns over but that is it. My husband replaced a coil and some kind of relay switch that we needed a special wrench for, still it will not start. Help!!!! We are both totally clueless on what the problem could be.

Reply to
J. Louis

Thank you so much for you help. we do not have a fuel pressure gauge or a spark catcher. We tried to jump start it and nothing happened, it turned over but wouldnt start. Basically it sounded the same. Do you think it sounds like the fuel pump could be the problem?

Reply to
needhelpinsoutherncal

[...]

Can anybody tell me where the fuel pump relay is located in a 1987 ford taurus?????? please help!!!!!!

Reply to
needhelpinsoutherncal

spark catcher. We tried to jump start it and nothing happened, it turned over but wouldnt start. Basically it sounded the same. Do you think it sounds like the fuel pump could be the problem?

Reply to
Bob

It could be a number of things, However the proper diagnostic procedure starts with the most common causes such as spark and fuel.

When you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump run?

Check to make sure the inertia switch has not been triggered. It should be located in your trunk. Your owners manual will show you where it is. there should be a tag in the trunk and a hole big enough to put your finger in and press down. If the inertia switch is triggered when you push down you will hear it click. You should then hear the fuel pump run.

Pull a spark plug, check to see if it is wet and if it smells like fuel. If it is you are getting fuel. The vehicle may be flooded or it may not have any spark.

Note of caution, whenever you work with or around fuel be extremely careful not to cause sparks, smoke a cigarette, use a drop light too close to the area or a fire could result.

Without seeing the vehicle for myself I can not be more specific. Start with the basics like I said. If they both check out then you have to go deeper. If one of them does not check out search that system for the problem.

If you do not have the proper tools it probably will be less expensive to find a technician who does and is willing to look at it for a reasonable price.

Sorry I cant be of more help but you need to get some local help.

L.

spark catcher. We tried to jump start it and nothing happened, it turned over but wouldnt start. Basically it sounded the same. Do you think it sounds like the fuel pump could be the problem?

Reply to
J. Louis

taurus?????? please help!!!!!!

Reply to
wired and confused

Check the stuff you just replaced. It is a good chance that something wasn't installed correctly.

not start, it turns over but that is it. My husband replaced a coil and some kind of relay switch that we needed a special wrench for, still it will not start. Help!!!! We are both totally clueless on what the problem could be.

Reply to
Bill