new alternator

Hello people,

I suspect the alternator on my 1995 1.4 Ford Escort has called it a day as the battery is not being charged and the electrics died after I got it started yesterday.

How much should it cost to supply and fit a new one and are there any other likely causes of such a fault?

Thanks for your interest.

Spivvy 38

Reply to
spivvy38

the battery is not being charged and the electrics died after I got it

A reman from any parts store should be under $200, minus the core return. Easy to install.

Best to be sure it is really the alternator before sinking that kind of money into it. I think can measure the output at the alternator in volts, I forget. You can also refurb the alternator with new brushes if you are handy. Search the group you should find backyard's alternator refurb faq.

Could also be the voltage regulator, but if it's built in no matter.

Reply to
sleepdog