dead cinq sporting - alternator?

Yesterday whilst she was driving home from work, my sister's R reg cinquento conked out and was completely dead. Just before it conked out she says she noticed the lights getting dimmer, and her radio switched itself off.

Anyway, it jump started fine from my car and my Dad continued on trying to get it home, but after a couple of hundred meters it just died in the same way as before. We ended up getting it towed home and it's now dead on our driveway.

I suspect it's the alternator that's knackered (shot bearings), or possibly a slipping fan-belt as she says it's been squealing a bit when she pulls away for a couple of weeks prior to this happening.

Any ideas how much a new alternator for one of these is going to cost? I suspect we'll need a new battery too as running the car without the generator has probably flattened it beyond revival.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Andrew Ratcliffe

Not at this time of year anyway :(

Reply to
Tim Anderson

£15-£20 from your friendly neighbourhood scrappie, an equivalent scrapped Cinquecento shouldn't be all that hard to find?
Reply to
Nick Dobb