ShoeSalesman

Can you get "Marvel Mystery oil" over there? Works good. Or try Shaler Rislone or Bardahl 1, or even a quart of Dexron ATF.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

clare skrev:

Hello, Isn't the Dexron ATF gearbox oil?? Is it applicable?

I'm interested in knowing what is exactly happening to the lifters when they're noisy. Anyone who can explain it in detail??

Reply to
stefan.toftevall

just run mobil 1 a few thousand miles, it will disappear. no additives needed.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Other than oil, one of the most frequent problems with noisy lifters on cold start is the oil filter. If you are useing a filter other than the Motorcraft filter, it may not have a proper or properly functioning anti drainback valve. The Motorcraft filter has a silicon valve that works well. Some others have it but, you are on your own to figure out which does or does not. If you change the oil and install the Ford spec'd filter and the noise goes away, you will know. Also, make sure you are using the correct oil. Here in the States, Ford has gone to a 5w20 spec which will flow very quickly on cold start and will help. These are the least expensive and simplest things to start. Some vehicle are sensitive to them - other couldn't care less.

Good luck Lugnut Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Backyard Mechanic skrev:

Hello Backyard!

Thanks for posting. Anyways, I changed to Mobil 1 a while ago, but don't know what kind of oilfilter, sure it's not Motorcraft but more like "Mann". Another poster sudgested original replacement of oilfilter. So you don't believe additives? One poster mentioned a quart of Dexron ATF, is it really possible using a bit of transmission oil together with the engine oil?

Reply to
stefan.toftevall

I'm the wrong one to ask about engine oil additives, havent used one in more than 25 years... Havent had any valve noises in several cars at or around 200,000.

But first thing I would address, as others said, is a good filter. Whatever Ford comes with in UK.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic