Jim Warman

I picked up an "auto xray" scanner - it reads set codes as well as current codes, and reads the data from all the sensors. On OBD2 it does not have quite as much detail access as some of the OBD1 systems (my 1994 Pontiac gives me more info than my '96 Mystique). There is a CAN upgrade available, but it will not "exercise" or control anything.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Reply to
Tom

I have an OTC OBDI scanner. It can read data streams and allows you to display four at one time. Had a "no spark" problem on my Dodge pickup. The OTC has a test where it sends a spark every two seconds. After I determined the coil was good I checked the signal from the distributor. The OTC said no spark signal. Took no time at all to find a broken wire in the distributor. My OBDII reader is just that. Worthless.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Back in the 80s, Dodge had about the best OBD1 system going with "Actuator Test Mode"... With this, we could cycle several of the PCM outputs.... This would tell us if the PCM was capable of controlling things like the ignition coil, fuel injector and some others (been too long to remember).

Reply to
Jim Warman

OBD2 is a standard - the basic stuff is all available, where OBD1, or pre-obd if you like, is not a standard. On some cars you can monitor EVERYTHING, on others virtually nothing. On my 94 poncho, I see more than I do under OBD2 on the ford. On a friend's 95 TBI Chevy you see a lot less.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Most (if not all) OBD2 systems are really two systems in one box. One side is the OBD2 that you're seeing on your scan tool, it's pretty basic. Even then, many tool manufacturers leave off certain $ mode capabilities. On the other side is the OEM enhanced, it contains a lot more information than the OBD2 side. The PID list on any domestic enhanced system is very extensive, and like OBD1 entirely at the discretion of the OEM to utilize. The ability to access the enhanced side is largely dependent on how advanced the tool is and [usually] directly proportional the price paid. One can spend enormous amounts of money with the major equipment players and -still- not have full access to all the $modes, PIDS and/or bi-directional controls the OEM has embedded. From what I've seen, Auto X-Ray sells a variety of OBD2 capable scan tools over a range of prices which no doubt means differing levels of capability.

Reply to
aarcuda69062