OBD2 tool - not the only way to reset or troubleshoot

All the online sources and advice say that you can only reset the CEL using and OBD2 diagnostic tool. That may be for some cars, but with my my Ford 3.0, the PO401 code (insufficient EGR exhaust flow) came on, I replaced the bad PDFE unit and the light reset itself to "off" after about 20 minutes of total driving and 2-3 stops. I was actually on the way to the auto parts place to reset it with the tool when the light went out. Smog checked the next day and all passed with no indications of any faults.

Don't believe everything that says "you have to have........" to do the job.

Especially with electronics, there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

Most people claim that these OBD2 connectors can only be read with a diagnostic tool or connecting to a PC. That is most convenient, but it's not true. You can still test individual pins if you know how the circuit works.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

For anyone who owns a smart phone..... For $10 you can buy a blue tooth OBDII gizmo that plugs into the ODBII port, it will connect to your phone and you can read the codes, reset them etc. For about $10 you can buy an upgraded version of the free software (Torque) and get all sorts of stuff displayed on your phone in real time. Water temp, fuel flow, oxygen sensor readings, and on and on.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

using and OBD2 diagnostic tool. That may be for some cars, but with my my Ford 3.0, the PO401 code (insufficient EGR exhaust flow) came on, I replaced the bad PDFE unit and the light reset itself to "off" after about 20 minutes of total driving and 2-3 stops. I was actually on the way to the auto parts place to reset it with the tool when the light went out. Smog checked the next day and all passed with no indications of any faults.

diagnostic tool or connecting to a PC. That is most convenient, but it's not true. You can still test individual pins if you know how the circuit works.

Thanks!! What's a good brand to get?

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

I bought this one over a year ago:

A little more than $10, but has worked well with 3 different year Escapes and a Sebring so far. Notice it's only for Android- I use it with my Samsung tablet now, but did use it with an old Asus I had.

The Torque app works great with it (both the free and retail versions).

Reply to
SC Tom

It's a crap shoot. I've bought four over the past 2 years and 1 was DOA. All were different brands at different times. You can find them all over Amazon and ebay.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher