overheating

My Pickup truck is over heating, I changed the thermostat and it looks like the termostat is not opening all the time. I dont know if it because I replace the prestone with water????

thanks

Reply to
Denis Dubuc

Denis Dubuc opined in news:bK2Na.19341$ snipped-for-privacy@wagner.videotron.net:

do a search on google.com, this group, and check out all the possibilities.

Like... bad fan, thermostat, filmed/clogged radiator, and air pocket in engine.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Check the head gasket. If the engine has overheated, it's a good bet the haed is warped and needs to be resurfaced.

Reply to
tmvs

An engine will overheat for two reasons; 1) poor coolant circulation --either the thermostate is stuck or the radiator is stopped up. 2 ) You are loosing coolant due to a leak.

Remove the theromostat and see if the car still overheats. If so then you have a leak somewhere. If you have a warped head or blowned head gasket, there will be white smoke out the tailpipe.

Lately I have seen a lot of cars that indicate overheating but do not overheat. That is because the temperature sensor is defective. If after overheating your car still has a proper coolant level that could be the cause or a defective thermostat.

-- javatek?@usa.com

Reply to
Redd