Starting problem with F-150..still

I recently posted about a problem and now I am further along the problem chain. Vehicle suddenly died while driving the other day. No noise, sounds, nothing. I had no lights, wipers, no start. I changed the battery cables + and - and charged up the battery. Now it will run the accessories but still won't engage the starter or turn over. Could it be the fender mounted starter solenoid or something else? Thanks for any thoughts.

83 Ford F-150, 4.9L 6 Cyl, Auto tranny.

Mac

Reply to
Type 3 Man

Type 3 Man opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Sit down, draw it out on paper, get a meter or test light and a helper and suss it out. You have a bad connection somewhere.

FIRST find out if the interlocks are letting the solenoid-engage voltage thru.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Will it turn over/start if you try "jumping" it from another vehicle? I had a battery fail that way one time. Started the car, worked great, drove it about 3 miles and shut the car off. When I came back out about 5 minutes later the battery was completely dead. Wouldn't make a sound when I turned the key.

Good luck, Mac

accessories

Reply to
Mac

I agree, soundz like the battery is knackered.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

The first thing I do when that happens is clean the batt terminals. Second I would replace the solenoid. If you want to test the solenoid first... take a thick screwdriver and touch the solenoid post that goes to the batt and also touch the post that goes to the starter. If the solenoid is good the starter should crank. Good Luck.

Reply to
Dave Pietrzak