Philosophical musing----93% or more Off Topic

A post last week mentioned a certain series of vehicle which brought back a memory.

Years ago on a summer day I was practicing my bat swing with my older brother's baseball bat. I took note of the brand marking on the ash stick. Now, I knew that Joe DiMaggio was a famous baseball player. But it did not connect in my brain why anyone would want a baseball bat with Joe DiMaggio's name burned onto it. Or, on a mitt, or a baseball, or anything else. Why in heck, I thought, does somebody's name on a product have to do with the utility of the product?

I learned hence, of course, that it is a strategy of marketing to associate products with famous people. Apparently name association is an effective sales tool. But, some people, resolute pragmatists such as myself, have never quite figured out why anyone would desire a product because of a celebrity's endorsement. To the contrary, pragmatists are more inclined to choose products which are not burdened with endorsement payments to celebrities.

Which leads me to pose a couple of questions.

Who in the hell is Eddie Bauer?

And were I to buy such a vehicle, why in the hell would I want HIS name on MY truck?

Reply to
getupand

"Farley @nonymous" wrote

So get a blowtorch and some sandpaper and take it off. :-)

Reply to
MasterBlaster