lift size for tires...

Whats the general concensus for amount of lift on a CJ for 33" tires?

Reply to
Steve G

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I have tons of clearance with a 2.5" spring lift and a 1/2" extra from YJ shackles. When I change my frame, I am dumping the longer shackles, they cause me to eat a lot of u-joints over the years because they throw the driveshaft geometry off a bit and I am not interested in dicking around with shims to try and set it back stock.

Mike

Steve G wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

A rule of thumb for 33s, 2.5" for CJs, 4" for YJs. (YJs have less wheelhouse clearance, particularly in the rear, whioch is why we all convert to TJ flares.)

While on a CJ you can clear 33s with a good 2.5" lift, you will get some rubbing if you don't extend the bump stops about 1". IMHOyou're better off with a good 3 - 4" kit.A fantastic unit for CJs is the Rubicon 4.5" Extreme Duty kit. It esentially uses the YJ E.D. springs, which are 2.5" wide front & rear. I comes with adapted front shackles, spring plates, etc. Pricey.

Reply to
SoK66

What is it about the longer shackles that cause this more than the lifted springs?

Reply to
Steve G

Steve G did pass the time by typing:

springs move the whole axle down, keeping the geometry. Where shackles just move the back of the spring down while the front stays put, tilting the axle up.

I wonder though how 1/2" of larger shackle could do that since it probably puts all of 1 degree (or less) into the equasion. It's more likely the increased angle is just beyond what the stock U joints can do reliably and Mike would be better off with a CV joint conversion and prolly a slip yolk eliminator.

couple o links

Somewhere out there I saw some shackles that could extend quit a bit but were held closed by pins for on-road use. Revolver shackles?

Don't follow this too much, my springs are the coiliy type.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Hi Doug, Last Saturday night you had a suicide bomber blow himself up outside your stadium, he was only outside because he wouldn't let himself be searched. It went off before plan B, he would have been surrounded by students after the game. Anyway, the whole rest of the nation doesn't know about it, do you? was it on your television? God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

DougW wrote:

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

The amount of "opinions" floating about are nothing less than amazing.

It's been on the idiot box, but not as much as expected. Then again with foooooooootbal being the life blood of OU I wouldn't suspect anything different. They don't care about the college kids, what they care about is the almighty sacred pig skin.

has a few articles. They do askfor name/email etc but bugmenot has a user/pass that works. I'm the first to suspect the college is trying to cover something up because most folks that commit suicide leave some sort of note or make some preparations. To my knowledge this person did neither. I've known of three college students that offend themselves, one strung himself from the sprinkler over spring break, one jumped, and the other sucked on a 9mm. They all left notes and/or gave stuff away. The reasons. Dangler: grades (a B), skywalker: drugs, glocksuker: (think it was a girl that left him). They all left notes, they all left signs that folks they knew didn't quite pick up on till afterwards.

"Joel Henry Hinrichs III is believed to have died in an explosion about 7:30 p.m. Saturday on a campus bench about 100 yards from Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, which was packed with about 84,000 fans at the time. Investigators are treating the death as a suicide."

He did try to (and was unsuccessful at) purchasing pure ammonium nitrate at the feed&seed store and they have yet to release exactly what the explosive was although they have stated it wasn't that type. My guess is homemade TATP PETN or similar probably intended as the pre-igniter. Thing is you can buy that material, it just takes a waiting period unless you have a farm tag.

The university claims (and the FBI backs it up) that he didn't have a ticket nor did he attempt to get into the game. I'm skeptical.

Another oddity is lack of shrapnel. Usually terrorists want the most carnage out of the bang. Of course an attempt to go trough metal detectors doesn't eliminate the use of shrapnel, just changes it from the most common nail/nut/scrap to glass/rock or simply a large container of homemade napalm.

His choice of location was also strange. That's not an ideal location to get crowds, nor a good time. The pre-game and post-game celebrations pack more crowds elsewhere on campus. Which is why I stay away from Norman on game days, it's a special kind of nucking futs down there.

Reply to
DougW

p.m. Saturday on a campus bench about 100 yards from

fans at the time. Investigators are treating the

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
RoyJ

I have 2" of spring lift and 1" of body lift for 32s.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

There is no slip yoke to eliminate on a CJ.

I'm with you on the CV joint drive shaft, but there is no slip yoke on a D300 tcase.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That's correct, the driveshaft has the slip yoke.

The shackle is 1" longer giving the 1/2" lift.

I run with a load mostly now on the highway going camping instead of local day trips and that seems to help them last longer by lowering the rear a bit. It isn't too much off.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

How about replacing the shackles with a 1" body lift kit. I wouldn't go more than 1".

Reply to
Peter Parker

That is an option lots of folks do. Not for mine though, I already have a 'glass tub and it sits higher than stock anyway. I am thinking on taller engine mounts and leaving the YJ length shackles to even things up.

Also on a CJ the odds are 'not' good on getting those body mount bolts out. Only one came out for me when I did it, the rest snapped or spun and had to be cut.

Mike

Peter Parker wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I forgot about it being glass. Taller engine mounts is good. What about lowering the transfer case?

I think that is with all the rust zoned vehicles. You get new hardware with the body lift kits?

Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Maybe this is more your speed Bill. Those real Jeep vintage photos are getting more vintage by the minute. :-)

Peter Parker