Ping S.E.W.

You sound like you know your stuff so I am wondering if you have some thoughts on another post "Taurus won't turn over". In case your newserver did not pick it up here is the original post

The little lady's 2000 Taurus has decided that sometimes (but not every time) it will not turn over. Does anyone know of any Ford notices or does anyone have ideas (experience) on the problem.

TIA

LB

Reply to
nospam

My head just grew four sizes larger...! Thanks for the compliment, but I am just a regular guy like most guys on this NG. Without more information it is difficult to even guess the possible causes. When you say the engine will not turn, do you mean nothing at all happens..? You also say the problem does not happen all the time.. A number of things could be responsible for that. (1) Is the battery GOOD, Are the battery terminals clean and tight? Check battery ground cable that connects to the body. (2.) Is the transmission all the way, fully in Neutral or Park. ***That one used to get me regularly.*** (3.) Next time you have a no start, turn on the Head Lights and Radio,and try to start again. What happens to the radio and lights. Does the light 'dim/go out' or not, does the radio cut out or not. If the lights does not dim, or the radio does not cut out, no power is reaching the starter, so look for a loose wire going to the starter, starter relay, and or ignition switch on steering column. If the Starter was bad/seized the lights would literally go out. You have start sometimes, so the starter is not seized, maybe defective but not seized (4.) Check for a bad/defective starter solenoid, starter relay, as well as ignition switch. (5.) Check for defective transmission range sensor(long shot). The range sensor is used to tell the PCM the transmission is in Neutral or Park.

These are the areas I would start checking. I hope this helps and you get the problem solved soon..

Reply to
S.E.W