Poor MPG on Escort 1.6 Zetec

I have a 1994 Escort 1.6L and have just recently decided to see how many miles I'm getting to the gallon. 85% of my travel is a 26 mile each way trip to my place of work.

Over the past two weeks I've filled up and worked out the MPG and it's averaging just 31 miles per gallon!

The tyre pressures have been checked, anything else I may be able to look at to hopefully improve this shockingly bad average?

Thanks.

Reply to
Kontaminator

Do it for a few more weeks. The amount of fuel you put in your tank varies, even at the same station.

Try to drive smart: slow stops and starts.

Replacing the spark plugs may help, depending on how many miles are on them (you can look in your maintainence manual for change intervals).

Another suggest: Toyota Prius.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff