Re: MPG

Got a new Pontiac Torrant. Sticker says 19/26 mpg.

> > I get 13! Sevice dept says everything is "in factory specs". > > Anyone have similar problem/solution? > > oldvike >

If the car is still new (less than 10,000 miles) just give it time. Your mileage will significantly improve after break in. Unless you're keeping your foot in the accelerator, you absolutely will get the numbers posted, and in fact, you may well exceed those numbers. I consistently get 28-30 on my Impala, and have hit 32 on several occasions when the windows were closed, no a/c was needed and driving on flat geography at highway speeds.

To demonstrate, I recently purchased a new Equinox. For the first 2,000 miles I averaged 18MPG. Then it gradually started creeping up. By the time we hit 7500 I was averaging 22, and again, same exact driving (city traffic, slow speed) conditions. Now that it has nearly 12,000 miles, we average 23 in city traffic, and around 26 on trips.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

Heck, my Olds minivan gets consistant 22 mpg city/highway mix, and nearly 28 on the highway at 70-80 mph. But its well broken-in, with

150k miles...

As others have eluded, driving with a lead foot will give terrible mpg even in a small car, so ease-on the throttle and you will be amazed at how good of mileage it gets unless you are grid-locked on a regular basis.

Reply to
scott

on Thursday 19 July 2007 11:07 am, someone posing as scott took a rock and etched into the cave:

On that note, my Avalanche gets routinely 18-21 MPG.

It only has 17,000 miles but seems broken in.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Confirmation accepted. The longer you drive, the better the mileage per gallon.

Reply to
Willy

You're getting similar to a 1997 Dodge Caravan I have

That's the trick. Also coast up to stoplights and stopped traffic. Often the traffic starts moving again before you get to it avoiding the need to use the brakes.

Reply to
jcr