Ponderous Dealer Service for My Truck... wait until the warranty expires?

So at about 35,000 miles my A/C decides to quit on me, no cold air and the clutch is cycling on and off every five seconds or so. Figure a low charge due to a leak somewhere. The truck is a 2004 F-150 XLT SuperCab, and I'm a bit surprised that the A/C is leaking already.

I took it in under the mfgr warranty to have it looked at and they say that they cannot find the leak, can't fix what they can't find, yadda yadda. They recharged it anyway. But I'm also told by the service writer that they have to write it up as a "found leak and fixed it with a couple of o-rings" in order to have Ford pay for it under warranty.

So now I ask, Ok, you tell Ford you fixed it, you tell me you just recharged it, what happens at 40,000 miles when the charge is low again? "Sorry, you'd be out of warranty."

So is the dealer just trying to get out of performing a real repair on my A/C under warranty, or do I just accept the fact that they "can't find the leak"? Now I ask what are the odds that they'll find the leak over 36,000 miles when I'm out of warranty?

Thanks for any input, considering putting a call into Ford Customer Care, but not sure if that's going to do any good.

Reply to
sleepdog

Probably about the same as it was last time: low. Why would they not fix it under warranty when the could hook Ford for a more expensive repair?

Saying that they fixed something when they didn't is lying. Do you really think Ford wants dishonest dealers?

Call Ford Costumer Care NOW.

They need to know what their dealer is doing.

And you need to get it in that the dealer did not fix the problem. I would definitely write to Ford Costumer Care via registered mail, return receipt requested if no action is taken.

It may very well be that they will cover you if there is a problem at say 45,000 mi, now. However, I would not bet on it.

You can have your truck repaired at any dealer under warranty. Don't worry about what the service manager thinks of you. Let him worry about what Ford thinks of him.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Call Customer Care.

Did the dealer use a UV dye in the recharge & ask you back within a week or two? They'll find the leak then if this was done. They should have left the RO open for this, too, with your "in" mileage on the record. If there was no charge, this should be accomplished easily.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I believe they closed the RO, but they did use some kind of dye, probably UV.

Reply to
sleepdog