Problem with rear brake light bulb replacement

Hello,

I know that this may sounds simple but it's not. I had a friend look at it also and he couldn't figure it out. I have replaced several vehicle bulbs through my life and I can't figure this one out. I have a 1997 Ford Taurus Wagon. The left rear brake light went out. I opened the hatch and took of two bolts that I could see. I then opened the side panel on the inside of the vehicle to look for any other bolts. I couldn't find any though. I tried pulling on the thing and pushing on it, but for some reason the brake cover will not come off. We were thinking that there could be a clip or something, but it just wouldn't budge. We tried the other brake cover and the same thing. Does anyone know how to properly remove the brake lcover?

Any help would be appreciated.

- hoops

Reply to
Hoopster

Removal:

With liftgate in full open position, locate two rear lamp attachment screws and remove. Rear lamp should remain attached at front/leading edge with a locator pin.

Carefully grasp rear lamp at attachment screw location AND under forward most portion of lens. Pull outward firmly (perpendicular to body of vehicle). This should disengage the locator pin and allow the rear lamp to be removed.

Remove lamp socket and wiring by gently pulling it off of the socket base.

Twist the lamp socket counterclockwise 1/4 turn and remove from rear lamp.

Carefully remove the old bulb by gently pulling it straight out of its socket. Do not rotate the bulb when removing it.

Installation:

Install new bulb by inserting it into socket until it snaps and locks into position.

Install bulb and lamp socket into rear lamp and twist socket clockwise until locked while aligning indexing tab.

Replace rear lamp by snapping locator pin into position.

Tighten screws to 3-4 N-m (27-35 lb-in).

It's tricky the first time you do it, takes less than 30 seconds once you've done it.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Thank you Rob - you just saved me a lot of time, money and energy.

God Bless.

- hoops

Reply to
Hoopster