Rear Brake Drum Removal - 1999 Camry - they don't want to come off!

Is there a secret for removing the rear brake drums on a 1999 Camry?

With the dust shield, it does not look like one can gain any leverage and or places to whack (if needed) to break the rust bond of the hub to the drum center hole.

I have read about the 8mm bolts and penetrating oil procedure to hopefully coax the drums loose, but the last time I tried the bolt trick on the front hubs, one of the bolts sheared.

The "bonding" (slight rust) is so complete that the hub appears to be a part of the drum itself - there is no crack although I know one is there.

Any other tips you can share to get stubborn rear drums off the back of a Camry?

Reply to
Ken Peterson

Get a decent sized hammer and beat the holy **** out of it. Whack it right on the face of the drum. It can take it, don't worry. Watch out for brake dust, that stuff is bad bad bad for your lungs.

Reply to
qslim

Whack 'em while they are still hot... or warm

Reply to
EdV

Lemme get my old trust sledge hammer and give it a few wallops. (just kidding) A regular claw hammer just doesn't have the mass to really knock it loose, I guess. I plan to replace the drums anyway, so I guess some heavy duty whackage woudn't hurt (only my ears!)

Thanks.

Reply to
Ken Peterson

Ken Peterson wrote: I plan to replace the drums anyway, so I

== I don't work on other people's cars, so can only report experience with my own. Drums were stuck. Sprayed Kroil penetrant. Used two threaded holes to insert bolts. Carefully tightened slowly and evenly. Could see the face of the drum bowing out under the pressure. Kept going. Then "pop" and they broke loose.

Reply to
Daniel

Rather than hijack this thread, I'll post a new one. I've been looking for you... ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

It helps to use machine-grade bolts, which have stronger threads. Most hardware stores have them.

Reply to
camry-keeper