ragtop durability question

I am seriously looking into getting a 2008 Mustang GT convertible, and wanted to know what to expect with respect to ragtop durability, longevity, issues, etc. I have never owned a convertible before, and have some concerns. Can some kind person please respond?

  1. What's the life span of the ragtop? Assume the car spends half its life in an uncovered parking lot, getting beat up by the sun.

  1. What about leaks, creaks, wind noise, etc? Does it leak in the rain? Does the fit remain tight over the years?

  2. I have noticed other ragtops, not necessarily Mustangs, where the leading edge of the ragtop seems smushed up and back a bit, as if it has been slightly deformed over time. Is this something to expect?

  1. Longevity of the mechanical components? What kind of issues can I expect from the top if I hold onto the car for 8 years?

  2. Anything else I should know or consider?

Thanks!

Reply to
Joe Granto

Wes 94 ZR580

The I have a 1964 Mustang GT convertible with the original vinyl top, that was always garaged but used year 'round, that has 90K on the clock. The top on my '41 Continental lasted nearly twenty five years.

The standard top on the Mustang is vinyl, a "Stayfast" material top is a several hundred dollar option. Sitting outside in the sun the standard top will last seven or eight years in reasonable good condition. The "Stayfast" material top should last twice as long

I currently own an '07 GT, my tenth convertible. The Mustang convertibles have had a headliner since the late nineties, leaks, creaks, wind noise and cold are not a problem

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You must live in a tough neighborhood. I have quite often parked my convertibles with the top down and never had a problem. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter