convertible question

I am thinking about a Mustang convertible as my next car, but have never owned a convertible before. I would be getting a new car, and was wondering a few things about Mustang convertible tops:

  1. How is the build quality?
  2. Do they leak?
  3. What kind of care/maintenance do they require?
  4. How bad is road noise?
  5. What kind of additional costs are incurred (e.g., due to maintenance, replacement, etc)?

Thanks!

Reply to
Joe Granto

I have owned two Ford Convertible recently - a 2001 Mustang GT and a

2004 Thunderbird.

  1. Build quality was excellent for both.

  1. I never had any problems with leaks.
  2. I never needed to do anything special for the soft tops, except I refrained from going through the touchless car washes or using any cleaners I wasn't sure about. Both my tops were black, so they didn't discolor much with age.
  3. Road noise was not an issue. In fact, I think the convertible Mustang was quieter (with the top up) than the coupe (at least it was quieter than my son's newer coupe). The Thunderbird was dead quiet with either the convertible top or the optional hard top.
  4. I never inncurred any additional costs related to the covnertible tops, but I only kept the cars for 3 years each. Eventually the top would need to be replaced. I'd guess every 8 years or so and it will be pricey if you pay someone to do it (k?)

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Great

No

Minimal

Not bad

The 1964 Mustang in bought new and it still own has the original roof

I currently own a 2009 GT Convert and I love it. I can still pick up young stuff. I picked up a blond the other day that could not have been a day over 57. ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Joe: I currently have an '06 GT convert which is vastly superior to previous I have owned in the areas you list:

1) Build quality: perfect.....everything fits precisely, no squeaks or rattles. My only complaint: the car magazines praised the solidity of the new (for '05) convert body saying there was no flex or shake. Bull. I later added the FoMoCo front shock tower brace available from dealer which greatly reduced cowl shake.....maybe it is standard now.

2) Leaks: none, as tight as a sedan.

3) care/maintenance: depends on how often you put the top up and down......never put down when wet and I never lower when cold and stiff. I also damp wipe it when dusty.

4) noise: Mustangs have a multi-layer top with liner and insulation in-between. virtually as quiet as a sedan. Ford radios can be set to increase volume as speed increases: not necessary with top up.

5) costs: my friendly dealer wanted $3600 for a "factory" replacement top on my old one.....I went to a trim shop and they did it for $1000 installed - and it turns out they do the work for the dealer too.

consideration: tops were available in Tan or Black when I got mine......I lusted after Vista Blue with tan interior which meant they would not let me order black top......the tan top (like white tops) shows dirt and wear more than black...so I'd recommend you go for the black top in an available combination.

don't order the optional "boot"....that used to be a well-fitting vinyl piece that snapped down over the lowered top.....I paid something like $200 for the "factory" boot when I ordered the car: what I got is an ill-fitting piece of cloth that you strap down over the lowered top and it then tries to blow away. AND, although Ford required me to have a tan top with my tan interior on a blue car, the boot is black !!!!!!!

also, forget ever using the back seat for anything: I have to put the top down just to get back there to clean the side windows.....not meant for human occupation.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click